Opinions on an Interarms Rossi 92 .44-40 Carbine?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Opinions on an Interarms Rossi 92 .44-40 Carbine?

Post by Model 52 »

I'm visiting family back home and noted an Interarms Rossi 92 20" carbine in .44-40 in one of the local gun shops. Price is $365 and over all condition is very good with the exception of a couple light scratches on the left side of the receiver and boogered screws on the Marbles tang sight.

Since I put them on all my lever guns, the already present tang sight saves me about $125, and I can get a new screw set for about $10, so I'm thinking $365 is not bad price wise (about the same as $240 without the sight).

The action is not as smooth as my Rossi, even before I did the SteveGunz clean up on it, and the major roughness is just in the last bit of lever movement where the lugs move the last 1/4" or so to engage the bolt.

Are there any particular differences or problems on the older Interarms carbines I should be aware of, or anything in particular I should look for before buying?

I'm flying home so it would mean a hard case and some baggage fees, and I'm thinking it may be cheaper to have him ship it to me, but in either case, returning it would involve some shipping expense. He is however about the only gunsmith I trust and I've known him on a first name basis and done business with him for over 30 years, so if it's got issues,I would not be screwed on the deal.
blackhawk44

Re: Opinions on an Interarms Rossi 92 .44-40 Carbine?

Post by blackhawk44 »

Just my thoughts, but IF you are a handloader, it should have already been boxed and shipped home. If not a handloader, its a pass. Readymade ammo is far to difficult to come by in these trying times, especially in non-Wal Mart calibers.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I've also read a number of people having problems loading 44-40 ammo also. Something about the brass being somewhat thinner but only based on what I've read since it isn't a caliber I own nor load. The 44-40 load however should be fairly easy to find since it is a well established cartridge.
Joe
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I had one loaned to me for load development for the owner about a dozen years ago. Seemed nice enough, but not as slick as my limited edition Marlin in 44-40. I have found that the 44-40 leverguns do seem to feed better as both the Win 1892 and the Marlin 1894 were designed around the cartridge.

If you don't reload, then I'd give it a pass as 44-40 ammo is quite expensive you can find it, going up to about $80 for a box of Remington JSPs. CAS type ammo is usually a good bit cheaper but the last of that I found a few months ago was just over $50 which still put it over $1 a round. If you go to reload for it, it's quite versatile, especially in strong actions like the 92 and Marlin. I load to the old High Velocity load levels for my Marlin and get 1900fps out of a 210gr bullet. The 44-40 is limited in bullets however. 200gr is the most common and just about all you'll find to load with unless you start using 44 Mag bullets which is what I do. Best as I remember that 92 I worked with had a good bore diameter for the 44 Mag bullets when I slugged it as some 44-40s have the old small bore (my Marlin).

Thin Brass. Yep, it is a problem. Going slow and easy helps. My main problem was crushing them when crimping. Switching to the Lee Factory Crimp die and crimping as a separate step pretty much solved that problem.

The one that I worked with has become the owners favorite deer rifle using the loads that I worked up for it and taught the owner how to load.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I flew home yesterday without buying it.

I reload, and in fact I can't even recall the last box of factory ammo I bought, but I already reload for a LOT of calibers and adding a new one was not overly appealing. In any case, if I change my mind it's only a phone call and credit card number away from being shipped to the FFL down the street.