Cartridge lifter problem...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rookie7

Cartridge lifter problem...

Post by rookie7 »

Good morning,

I have a Rossi 92, blue/CCH, 20" octagon barrel. I've posted before about the rifle - I think.

Anyway, before taking it apart it had no problem feeding, firing, extracting 357 and 38 special. It did double feed a couple of times on me, but that was it.

So, after reading everywhere and everything I could on the internet about the Rossi 92 I decided to take it apart to "fine tune" it.

Took it apart - used an Arkansas medium stone with oil on places that needed burrs removed. I also used 600 grit sandpaper in places with oil.

Everything went back together with no problems thanks to the tips I have found on here and throughout the net.

However, while trying to feed 357s they were getting stuck low in the action and the lifter wouldn't come up. Found a burr on the side of the left side of the lifter that was probably hitting the bottom side of the left cartridge guide. Used a triangular file to removed said burr, sanded it, and re-installed.

Everything is good. I cut a little of the lifter spring that controls the plunger, and cut off about 1 1/2" off the magazine tube spring. I haven't replaced the ejector spring yet, but probably will.

Here's my conundrum: before dis-assembly and cleaning etc. I did not have to work the lever hard. Now, if I casually work the lever the lifter doesn't come all the way up. I have to then bump it a little harder to kick the cartridge up so it will feed.

Any input please?

BTW, I also cut the buttstock because I didn't like the crescent shape. I glued on a couple of spacers, and installed a regular pad. Will post pics later.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cartridge lifter problem...

Post by Ranch Dog »

rookie7 wrote:Here's my conundrum: before dis-assembly and cleaning etc. I did not have to work the lever hard. Now, if I casually work the lever the lifter doesn't come all the way up. I have to then bump it a little harder to kick the cartridge up so it will feed.

Any input please?
I think before I took it back down I would spray some good oil through it and cycle the action about 500 time to see if that cleans it up.
Michael
Fullthrottle

Re: Cartridge lifter problem...

Post by Fullthrottle »

Ranch Dog wrote:
I think before I took it back down I would spray some good oil through it and cycle the action about 500 time to see if that cleans it up.
I agree strongly with this.