Puma 92 Sighting Dilema

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Puma 92 Sighting Dilema

Post by Rooster59 »

Never shot a real Winchester lever rifle but I will certainly take your word for it. The Marbles rear that came from the factory on my 1895CB is head and shoulders better than all the others I've used over the years. I just can't get the rear notch crisp enough on any buckhorns anymore when the front post/bead is in focus. The notch "ears" are getting fuzzy with a bit of halo or shadow to them. Ten, even five, years ago it wasn't an issue. But it is now.

As far as the Rossi buckhorns.............you have hit the nail on the head my friend.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:Never shot a real Winchester lever rifle

Jeff
Sssssshhhhh ! ............. don't let The Duke (your avatar picture) hear that. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I think you a right about the 5D. I have used them on various lever guns with good results. Rugged enough for hard use.

Varner also makes a tang sight that looks a little more rugged than the Marbles. One thing I dont like about the Marbles is that the windage and elevation can be moved by someone other than you. Of course, you can learn the correct settings and them check them. The Varner looks like it is set and then requires tools to change the settings. Not a bad thing IMHO.

I am going to try the Varner on my 357 24 inch Rossi. If it seems tough enough I may put one on my 44 Mag Rossi which will be my hard use gun. If not then the 44 will get a 5D.

There is one other thing you can try. A full buckhorn can be used like an aperture sight. Had one on the Marlin 24 inch Cowboy model I had. With a plain blade front sight it was very fast.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Never thought about a full buckhorn. I wrongly assumed that was just a weird variation of a standard sight. Looked to me the ears would get in the way of the sight picture but if it is used like a peep then it might be useful.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
11704kk

Post by 11704kk »

Has anyone tried the Steve's Gunz aperture sight that replaces the safety? How does it compare to the tang sights? I have the same problem with old eyes.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

When it comes to sighting, a peep sight is a peep sight is a peep sight. A peep sight or aperture sight works because it is a round hole thru which your eye naturally centers the image you see beyond it. The longer the sight radius on your firearm the more accurate it is likely to be. No one peep sight is likely to be more accurate than another. As long as all the aperture holes are round. That's a bit simplistic but it is true.

The key is finding the peep sight that suits your tastes, your firearm's configuration, your ergonomic requirements, etc.

That said, the Steve's Gunz bolt mounted peep sight is a good one. If you can live without windage adjustment in the peep sight and are willing to drift the front sight to achieve proper windage adjustment. It is solid, durable, and well built with a variety of aperture sizes available for it.

I personally prefer a peep sight that offers windage adjustment within the sight itself. Also, a larger range of vertical adjustment is important to me as I intend to shoot at a variety of ranges with a variety of handloads with varying power and trajectories. That requires more adjustment options/capability than the bolt mounted peep offers. Some like the bolt mounted peep for it's simplicity and small size. It should do a great job of decreasing your group sizes if you do your part.
11704kk

Post by 11704kk »

Good points - thank you