92 action locks after fire

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
11704kk

92 action locks after fire

Post by 11704kk »

This is my first post to the forum, so apologies in advance if I am asking a question that has already been answered. I purchased a 20" round barrel .357 a few months ago and the action will sometimes lock in the closed position after I fire a round. This has occurred with both .38 and .357 ammo and a varying number of rounds in the magazine. All ammo is round-nosed FMJ. I am able to free the "jam" and cycle the action by pressing on the loading gate. Changing the speed or force I cycle the action does not seem to resolve. I would say this occurs about every 25 rounds or so.

I intend to get the Steve's Gunz kit, but wonder if my issue is something his DVD will help me fix.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[hr][/hr]
DIY92
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 action locks after fire

Post by akuser47 »

I would bet you have interference with the loading gate and the action that you are haveing happen once you get her opened up take a pic of the side rails inside thhe receiver and the loading gate this may tell us more loading gate may also be loose inside causeing this. Others may have more info than I.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! I don't believe that the SG video will cover the issue you are experiencing.

I will expand on AK's suggestion a bit further. To start make sure that the "Spring Cover" (C) is secured by it's screw (55). This part is commonly called the "loading gate". The cover should be slightly recessed with the frame of the receiver and have ample movement against the tension of it's arm, the "spring". Will the rifle empty and the action closed is there any problems using the loading gate? Probably not in that you have shot the rifle but did not mention it. Next question is about adding more ammo into the tube once a few rounds are in the tube. Pushing the gate open should move the rounds in the tube forward. I'm trying to see if anything is hanging up on the gate.
R92_receiver_parts.jpg
Will sit back and see any other ideas. If all this is good, will move to the Carrier (39) operation and then the Cartridge Stop (45).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Had that same issue, it's the carrier! I removed the friction stud and cut ONE coil off the little spring , polished the stud and re-installed...problem fixed!
BTW I called Steve Young and told him about it ....he suggested it was probably the carrier( didn't want anyone to think it was all Me lol).
N.C.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ninety Caliber wrote:Had that same issue, it's the carrier! I removed the friction stud and cut ONE coil off the little spring , polished the stud and re-installed...problem fixed!
BTW I called Steve Young and told him about it ....he suggested it was probably the carrier( didn't want anyone to think it was all Me lol).
Might be just the inside surface of the receiver needing to be smoothed in the arc that that the carrier swings through. The edges of the two "cat eye" recesses that the pin jumps into could be rough.
Michael
11704kk

Post by 11704kk »

Great information everyone - thank you!

To answer Ranch Dog's question, the loading gate operates fine when the magazine is empty, however it takes extra pressure to open it when the action is in the locked state.

This rifle is still under warranty and I am thinking it might be worth it for me to have Rossi make the repair instead of me attempting the work. Any thoughts?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

11704kk wrote:This rifle is still under warranty and I am thinking it might be worth it for me to have Rossi make the repair instead of me attempting the work. Any thoughts?
Only you can make that call. They will have the rifle about 2 months.
Michael
11704kk

Post by 11704kk »

Thanks again!