front sight for Old Puma

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
driftingrz

front sight for Old Puma

Post by driftingrz »

alright so ive got an older Puma 44mag (Interarms Amadeo). and im contemplating a tang sight either a marbles one day when i can afford one or a Taurus model if they have one in stock (though from what ive read on here, it might not be sturdy enough to withstand a 44mag without flopping around from recoil)

the problem lies with the front sight on this old rifle not being a dove tail sight. post is part of the band that holds the mag tube in place. this may have been discussed before. but not anywhere ive seen in this subforum. ive probably missed something.

the only issue is how bulky the post is. very wide, and im assuming that would be a hinderace shooting any distance. i guess it could be filed narrower or knock the edges off the top so its pointed somewhat. idk just looking for options. see everybody switching to nice bead sights so just seeing what improvements i can make

Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: front sight for Old Puma

Post by Rooster59 »

I have quite a distaste for that style of mounting a front sight. Henry still does this on some of their models.

I haven't had a rifle like this but if I did I would pursue a plain barrel band if it was available or have the sight milled off the current one. Then have a gunsmith cut a dovetail and buy an appropriate height and width Skinner post front sight. Bead front sights with their round shape are seldom used by long distance shooters. A square top post of .070" down to .050" width works well. Nice crisp sight picture for a 6 o'clock hold.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:I have quite a distaste for that style of mounting a front sight. Henry still does this on some of their models.

I haven't had a rifle like this but if I did I would pursue a plain barrel band if it was available or have the sight milled off the current one. Then have a gunsmith cut a dovetail and buy an appropriate height and width Skinner post front sight. Bead front sights with their round shape are seldom used by long distance shooters. A square top post of .070" down to .050" width works well. Nice crisp sight picture for a 6 o'clock hold.
Though they are both Amadeo M92s my 16" bbl 357 Trapper has the integrated front band/sight and my 44 Mag Trapper has the conventional dovetail. My 20" M92/454 has the conventional dovetail front sight configuration.

The 3 are all stone-cold-killer accurate & I don't mess with what works.

* Just the Amadeo Rossi 92 rifles that were marketed by contract from LSI had the PUMA insignia on the receiver. My guns don't have them.

I wish the gun manufacturers would quit the "nannying" and market just the plain-Jane blueprint gun and offer all the safeties, hammer locks and other unwanted accessories as options. If I want junk on my guns I'll add it myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
driftingrz

Post by driftingrz »

thanks, i guess ill leave it as is. i didnt spend a whole lot on this rifle. so im not gonna bother with getting a dovetail cut.