Leather slings

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
driftingrz

Leather slings

Post by driftingrz »

ive seen the thread on slings, but it seems most like the more modern slings including the 1point slings

i dont care much for the style. just doesnt fit the rifle IMO, im old school for someone my age. i tinker with leather on occasion making knife sheaths and whanot. but im looking for some options for slings and ways to attatch.

I originally wanted a buttostock sleve of sorts to hold extra rounds, but now that im refinishing the wood and im really liking the outcome i dont want to cover too much wood up. and with the cresent buttplate it makes it a little more difficult to make a cover that fits the cresent nicely

anyways. more than anything im looking for pictures. ill probably make the sling and whatnot myself. just want to know what options i have. i dont want to add slingswivels if i dont have to but if i do they will probably be brass
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Leather slings

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that your rifle is a Saddle Ring Carbine, it would be very easy to find the appropriate hardware (a snap) and make one.
Michael
driftingrz

Post by driftingrz »

so rear hooked to saddlering. and front around forearm? i wasnt sure if that would be far enough apart for a big boy. though i guess if gun is just on shoulder it wouldnt matter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

driftingrz wrote:so rear hooked to saddlering. and front around forearm? i wasnt sure if that would be far enough apart for a big boy. though i guess if gun is just on shoulder it wouldnt matter
See this topic: Junior Doughty's Saddle Ring Sling
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
driftingrz wrote:so rear hooked to saddlering. and front around forearm? i wasnt sure if that would be far enough apart for a big boy. though i guess if gun is just on shoulder it wouldnt matter
See this topic: Junior Doughty's Saddle Ring Sling
Only trouble with Juniors sling is that it isn't leather but the OP sounds quite capable of replacing the synthetic straps with leather straps and just using Juniors hardware to create an equivalent legacy style sling.
Heck, he could just take a real close look at a pic of the Doughty sing and buy the hardware and make his own saddle ring carry sling from scratch.
I have a plethora of old carry bags that have all the hardware necessary to make the very simplistic Doughty sling.
A bit of reconstructive surgery on the leather straps of an old computer carry bag I have would make a close approximation to the Dougthy sling.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA