38/357 Feeding Issues Solved

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Bingal123

38/357 Feeding Issues Solved

Post by Bingal123 »

I recently bought a M92 from a guy who had attempted to fix the feeding issues with his M92 and after replacing both feed rails,extractor, and a couple of pins he had given up and just used it as a single shot. It came with the original rails and an assortment of other spares. Before buying it I read all the comments,issues and various solutions people had written and so went in with my eyes open,lol.
It would not accept more than one round in the magazine tube nor would it load either 38 or 357 via the loading ramp. Each time the round would jam with the nose hard against the entrance of the chamber.
Being impatient and living on the other side of the world and not ever having stripped a lever gun before I found a Youtube Vid on fitting new springs and printed of a couple of schematics and set about my apprentership lol as a Rossi tinkerer.
Only problem I had in stripping was trying to insert a pin in the hammer rod as the spring was so tight and the hole didnt line up with the indent in the fitting so I took it apart holding the hammer and spring and slowly releasing the bottom tang. While it was apart I made the hole in the rod bigger and same with the fitting so it all lines up. This strip was to learn how it all worked and to see how or what needed to be adjusted. I had read that wHen the Winchester 92 was made that final adjustment was all done by hand and that the same level of hand custom was not done on Rossi guns made on the same machinery so sometimes it was a good chance there would need to be some personal work. I spent quite a bit of time with just the rails and loading tray in place and with a bullet on it moving it up to the chamber to identify why it was not feeding.I then took the rails out and noticed that the spring in the left rail was in backwards that would explain the mag tube issue i also compared the new left rail with the original and noticed that the indent where the all on the left side of the loading tray locks the loading tray in the raised position was a different shape. The original was more like a slit and the new elliptical. This would influence the hight and angle that the round entered the chamber. I would be real interested to know what shape the ones are on Guns people buy and load ok out of the box and the ones that dont.
I then decided to open up the cutouts on the rails that allow the bullet case to rise up and polished them with graphite powder. Also the carrier and all moving parts and relieved the bottom lip of the chamber and polished the inside with graphite so it was mirror like. I modified all the springs and used the newly modified original rail with the smaller indent and put it back together. Loaded the magazine with shells and help my breath. Cycled the action and every round entered and ejected without fault and as smooth as a hot knife through butter. I was very impressed and the total cost of the work zero dollars just time well spent and I must say an incredible sense of joy at being able to fix it after so many had walked away from it. So for anyone struggling with theirs its just patience, perseverance and an eye for detail and the willingness to give it a go. The mechanics are quite simple but they have to work together to make it function.
[hr][/hr]DIY92
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 38/357 Feeding Issues Solved

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bingal123 wrote:I had read that wHen the Winchester 92 was made that final adjustment was all done by hand and that the same level of hand custom was not done on Rossi guns made on the same machinery so sometimes it was a good chance there would need to be some personal work.
Truer words have never been spoken! Yep, I would say you are now an Official Rossi Mechanic! Welcome to the forum! Oh, what is the other side of the world?
Michael
Bingal123

Post by Bingal123 »

The land down under Australia. Just reading back through my post and it all looks so simpe lol. I have several oter lever guns either original or based around the model 94 but i must say I love the moel 92 it is such an asy gun to carry and now we have a special bond lol. Most of my hunting is in heavily wooded areas for deer,boar,wild dogs and foxes wirh most shots taken arond 75 yards. Its pretty heavy going at times so the need for a light compact fast handling rifle.
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Very nice story. Nothing like rolling up your sleeves and getting the job done. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll be on the other side of the world in about 6 months. An uncle just finished building a new house and we are hoping to go see it.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Great post!!!

Sure is a good feeling to make some adjustments and see the results. +guns
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Bingal123

Post by Bingal123 »

Sorry about the typing in my response post didnt have the glasses on lol.

Any recommendation on a more suitable sight for the M92?
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Thanks for the Rossi First Aid info. Always good to read about solutions.
I put receiver sights on newer lever guns. I like them and find I can pick up targets much faster and hit the mark just as good. Any flat base receiver sight (for left side of the receiver) for a Marlin or Winchester will work as you will have to drill and tap the receiver side. I do not think you will devalue a Rossi by adding a good sight either.
I use tang sights also but save those for older rifles as the cost for tang sights is getting pricey fast.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Nicely done!
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Great job. Glad to see another that is not afraid to work on a firearm to make it what they need/want!
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

Well, I didn't buy any of the "kits" or videos. But, I did take mine apart and clean, polish and hone everything I could get to.
That and a whole lotta cycling got mine to function great. Good job!