Comparing the RG to a Marlin 336

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Comparing the RG to a Marlin 336

Post by Dan 444 »

pricedo,

Many thanks for the reply. I think that you hit directly on the solution......I need to own both!
Thanks,
Dan
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Dan 444 wrote:pricedo,

Many thanks for the reply. I think that you hit directly on the solution......I need to own both!
Thanks,
Dan
Good evening
That is how I view the situation. Have had 45 Colt 92´s (Interarms & Rossi) for many years along with a 1886 light weight. Between those two calibers I can hunt anything. The 45 Colt with a 200-280 grainer will handle 90% of all my hunting needs. Round ball for bunnies. But there comes the time when a 350-450 grainer needs to be applied and that is where the 45-70 does it without excessive (blowup) pressure. If there is anything bigger needing to be dealt with I have a 12 Bore round ball load at 1550 fps for that. There is no substitute for having enough gun.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ray384
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Ray384 »

Ranch Dog, when you did this comparison, did you compare the firing pins?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Missionary wrote:
Dan 444 wrote:pricedo,

Thanks,
Dan
Good evening
That is how I view the situation. Have had 45 Colt 92´s (Interarms & Rossi) for many years along with a 1886 light weight. Between those two calibers I can hunt anything. The 45 Colt with a 200-280 grainer will handle 90% of all my hunting needs. Round ball for bunnies. But there comes the time when a 350-450 grainer needs to be applied and that is where the 45-70 does it without excessive (blowup) pressure. If there is anything bigger needing to be dealt with I have a 12 Bore round ball load at 1550 fps for that. There is no substitute for having enough gun.
Mike in Peru
Let's not send the wrong impression to the readers here.
The .454 Casull achieves its impressive "batting above its weight class" ballistics without EXCESS (blowup) pressure as well.
SAAMI sets dimensional, operating pressure & other parameters for each registered caliber & EXCESS pressure would be a load that produced higher pressure than SAAMI maximum specs.
The fact is that the Rossi M92 in .454 Casull is built (special heat treated receiver, modern steels) to handle the 65,000 psi SAAMI maximum pressure generated by the .454 Casull cartridge & that allows a .454 Casull cartridge about half the size of the .45-70 (with SAAMI peak pressure in the 35K-40K psi range) fired from a much lighter rifle to just about (but not quite) catch up to the .45-70 GVT cartridge in ballistic performance.
Neither cartridge is operating under EXCESS pressure if properly loaded and used in firearms designed to handle the pressure (which the Rossi 92/454 is).
It is just that the .454 Casull cartridge operates at a much higher chamber pressure than the .45-70 when both are loaded to maximum design pressures.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA