Compressing the main spring in Rossi 92 44mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
arbud

Compressing the main spring in Rossi 92 44mag

Post by arbud »

Alright I am not a complete idiot. I knew in disassembling my Rossi lever rifle to capture the long spring along the bottom tang with a paper clip. Not a problem except somewhere along the line the paper clip broke.
So how does one recompress that Hard spring so I can capture it again with the paper clip.
I cant be the first person this has happened to. Thanks for any help. Bud
cavelamb

Re: Compressing the main spring in Rossi 92 44mag

Post by cavelamb »

I have an aluminum block with a bunch of holes drilled in it that I use for pistol main springs.
Pin one end of the spring, then pin a lever that can bear on the other end and compress the spring.

Airwolf made this suggestion...
Spring Upgrade
1. When installing the new mainspring, it would require Hulk-like strength to compress it enough to get the paper clip back in. Answer: Slide the spring onto the shaft, install the clip between the windings, and rotate the spring to, in effect, screw it in under the pin. Done in seconds.
2. After installing the lever and locking bars (don't mess with the screws, it's unnecessary and they mess up the head-space adjustment which could be dangerous), when you install the pin, make sure it's driven securely and all the way in or you will find you can't open the bolt. This pin MOVES WITH THE LEVER, so it must not protrude into the receiver assembly.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I use a large fork to compress the spring and it also allows you to put another stronger this time drill bit or Allen wrench in the hole to hold it. I have had the paper clip bend while doing that before.
351WSL

Post by 351WSL »

I know that this is a little late, but may benefit others in the future. I used a large caliber bore swab - think giant Q-Tip - and broke a small piece off the wood end and used it as a slave pin through the hammer pin hole and the pin hole in the front of the lower tang (by trigger). It was the perfect size as it was strong enough to hold the pressure but also easy to install and remove afterward. You can then compress the spring as if it were installed in the rife. Easy Peasy :)

Best wishes,

Chris in AL