Thinking of getting either a Rossi .45 or .454

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
The Man In Black

Thinking of getting either a Rossi .45 or .454

Post by The Man In Black »

Hi, I have been thinking of getting a lever rifle for some time now, and may be getting ready to actually pick one up. I can't say I "need" one, I just want it. I was kind of thinking of a .357, but then I was thinking why not just go with classic .45 colt. And then the natural thing was to think, why not .454?

I have looked over some reviews for the Rossi .454, but I still have a question or two. Some reviews say the 454 is finicky with 45's. This is a concern, because 45's will be what I pass through it the most. My reason for wanting the 454 is for the option to use the more powerful round if desired.

Second, the 454 holds 9 rounds of 454, so I'd assume at least the same 10 rounds of 45 as the 20 inch 45 holds. Or can it hold an 11th? Is the extra inch all in the butt pad?

Thanks
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Thinking of getting either a Rossi .45 or .454

Post by Arroyoshark »

I enjoy and handload for a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. I find the range of power, available by reloading, makes the .45 Colt, out of a reasonably strong lever, both fun at range and effective on game. From my perspective, the .454 Casull does not bring any more useful utility to the game than just varying the loads in .45 Colt. The rifle is up to it, the cases are up to it, and my shoulders can tolerate the .45 Colt loads. Even factory .45 Colt rounds make a satisfying thunk on hanging steel targets. Reloading makes shooting the .45 Colt more economical that is for sure.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The .454 is not worth the 2X price over a Colt. Since they haven't made them in years and didn't make many, they are a lot more expensive. I had one. Fixed it up really nice and sold it before I ever took a shot.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GasGuzzler wrote:The .454 is not worth the 2X price over a Colt. Since they haven't made them in years and didn't make many, they are a lot more expensive. I had one. Fixed it up really nice and sold it before I ever took a shot.
I agree.

Get the .45 Colt lever shooter and use the savings over the.454 for ammo or reloading gear. The Rossi Lever .45 Colt I am using feeds the wide meplat semi-wadcutters just fine ... and that bullet packs some serious thump ... if ya want to.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
The Man In Black

GasGuzzler wrote:The .454 is not worth the 2X price over a Colt. Since they haven't made them in years and didn't make many, they are a lot more expensive.

Rossi makes them again: https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-act ... n-hardwood

MSR is about $200 more than the 20" .45 colt stainless. Can't speak for availability though.

Still up in the air on it.
The Man In Black

And I actually have a reloading setup. Hasn't been touched in a good 15 years, but I have it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Glad I sold the one I had when I did because I got well into the four digits for it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have over the years acquired a number of lever guns including a 92 in 45 Colt. Handloaded with 325 grain flat nose and a healthy charge of either H110 or Lil'Gun is all the thump needed for whitetails here in Ohio. If I need more my 1895 in 45/70 will take up the slack.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
T-Steve

Post by T-Steve »

Gosh, after trying some heavy Buffalo Bore loads in my 45 LC 92, I don't think I want anything more.

But there is something about the cachet of the 454 Casull. They are cool!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

T-Steve wrote:Gosh, after trying some heavy Buffalo Bore loads in my 45 LC 92, I don't think I want anything more.

But there is something about the cachet of the 454 Casull. They are cool!

T-Steve, I think those are basically the two options. Do we acquire something because it is useful to us or are we attracted to certain firearms because they are way cool & collectible and ya just want one.

Neither option requires substantiation of your choice to anyone else, it's only personal choice or preference.

In the case of the .454, it can likely chamber and fire either .45 Colt or .454. Just need to determine if it is worth the additional cost of the .454, when more likely .45 Colt will be routinely loaded in it. Maybe if in Montana, western Wyoming, or northern Idaho it could make practical sense.