R92 Carrier/elevator question: where is it supposed to lock?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bczrx

R92 Carrier/elevator question: where is it supposed to lock?

Post by bczrx »

Hello,

I have an Interarms Rossi 92 SRC .357mag from 1980 that is new to me, and seems to have been relatively unused before I got it.

I have a question for the collective. Your answers will help guide me to the next step of what to do to solve my issue.

When you lever the action fully open, firmly, is the carrier tip [elevator?] even with the top of the left cartridge guide, or slightly below it?
  • Is the carrier stop pin at full extension to 'lock' into the cartridge guide at that point?
  • Or has it ridden into that slot and started to exit it above that slot at the full lock open position?

I am getting erratic feeding of different rounds- both in .38 and in .357.

I have read a LOT of threads and done a LOT of the action tuning referenced here, and elsewhere.
In the process, I've found something that seems 'off' to me, but I don't have a frame of reference for comparison.

When I lever the action fully open, the carrier/lifter/elevator tip is level with the cartridge guide top, but a hint of pressure on the carrier and it 'pops' down about 1/16" [or 1/8"] lower.

In my examination of the system, I found that the carrier stop pin is going into the stop slot on the cartridge guide, and then is riding up past that locking spot as it goes out of that slot at full lever open.
  • At this fully open position, the carrier stop pin is compressed a bit.
  • When I add a touch of down pressure on the top of the carrier surface, the carrier drops a tad as the pin clicks out to full extension into the slot in the cartridge guide, aka firmly locked into place.
  • The tip of the carrier is then just below level with the top of cartridge guide.

I am starting to think that the cartridge guide's stop slot for the carrier stop pin on my 1980 Interarms-era Rossi 92 may have been milled about 1/16-1/8" too low, and the carrier isn't staying at the proper angle long enough to assist in the feeding of the rounds.

For those who have no problems feeding any ammo, could you take a look into your action with a good light and see if your carrier stop locks it at the full extension, with the tip of the carrier level with the cartridge guide top? or what is your action like?

Please direct message me if you want to get a phone call going and I can try to talk you through what I am looking at, in case my explanation isn't the clearest.

If my examination is on track, this is something I can fix with a spot weld and then grind, to move the divot/locking recess for the carrier stop pin UP the cartridge guide, so that the full open point is also where the carrier stop pin is at full extension into that divot/locking recess. I just need some insight on how these parts interplay on rifles that have no [significant] loading issues.

My goal? To be able to use any factory .357 or .38 loads with rounded ogive bullet profiles in loads above 125gr.
  • I have no intention of trying to make this good with any bullet with a stepped profile, like semi-wad cutters or other similar shapes.
  • My preferred load is 158gr flat nosed lead tip semi-jacketed or 148-158gr LRN rounds.

Thanks to any who may be able to help.
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.