2X Unlimited Eye Relief Red Dot

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

2X Unlimited Eye Relief Red Dot

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Found another 2X magnification red dot with unlimited eye relief. Sun Optics CD12-RM242. A bit slimmer and blacker than the TruGlo. The magnifier unscrews, if you like. 2 MOA dot. Magnified image is a bit distorted, but maybe not so much as the TruGlo. Don’t know what I’m going to do with the extra rail sections, but I’ll think of something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 2X Unlimited Eye Relief Red Dot

Post by Arroyoshark »

How does that Sun Optics red dot work in the bright AZ sun ? Is the dot readily visible ? Actually I would have same question about the Tru-Glo red dot. I have mounted a Sig Sauer Romeo MSR Green Dot and that is sure visible in mid-day sun.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I can’t discern any difference in brightness between the two . . . But the TruGlo does go up to 11. Plenty bright in normal daylight, but I’ll need to try it out under brighter ambient light. Thanks for the tip on the green dot!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Just returned from a zeroing session. Aren’t the little arrows supposed to indicate directions for Point of Impact? If so, they’re backwards on the Sun Optics. The graduations have a weak click, but they’re very fine (1/4 MOA?). The optical distortion gets far less noticeable beyond 10 yards.

I was shooting into the November sun on setting 4 of 7. Granted, I’m partial to rather dim dots. My astigmatism tends to make bright dots very sparkly.

I’m intrigued by this perceived higher brightness of green dots. I see that Holosun makes a few. Thanks for the tip!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Might try a interweb search on green dot v.s. red dot sights. Much information will pop up. I find the green dot superior in bright NM mid-day sun, and the dot does not distort as much for us with some astigmatism either.

I don't have a dot sight on a lever action, but I recently installed a Sig Sauer Romeo MSR green dot sight on an AR build up. It is easier for me to pick up in sun than comparable Sig Romeo 5 red dot, tho both appear bright in sun. Astigmatism seems to make the red dot appear as more of a star burst than sharp dot, but I believe that is my eyes rather than the device. I recall I picked up the Sig Romeo MSR from Bareli online site for around $74 w free ship. I don't know if low mount works on that model or not.

I also have some sense that Holosun may be manufacturing the red & green dot sights for Sig.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith