Magazine Ring Screw

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Magazine Ring Screw

Post by mr surveyor »

I took the R92 with the broken front barrel band screw to my new gunsmith friend. He agreed that it would be a delicate operation (I kinda' figured it wouldn't be as tough brain surgery ... but wouldn't be as easy as removing a splinter either). Anyhow, he thought he could have the proper screw in his hand within 4-5 days and in the mean time could drill out and use a tiny eaze-out to get the screw remains out. After swapping B-S with him for nearly an hour I'm beginning to trust his judgement and abilities. I do have some other firearms I might be taking to him in the near future .... not necessarily because they absolutely need to be tinkered with - but because I want them tinkered with :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
parson48

Post by parson48 »

I had the same thing happen. I had a broken 1/16" bit that had a somewhat jagged end. I chucked it up in my drill and, at very sow speed, in reverse, it had enough bite to remove the broken screw portion.

Tired of the "specialty" screws, I drilled and tapped to 6-32 and now can use a commonly found replacement. I actually powder coated a stainless screw and it looks and functions just fine.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I just went and picked up my repaired R92. He had to drill and eaze out the screw tip, then spent days looking for a Rossi replacement. Probably wouldn't have mattered if he found the real Rossi screw because the threads in the band were already boogered from the original Rossi assembly (seems typical of my Rossi carbines). He ended up getting a "close enough" gun screw and rethreading the barrel band for the screw to fit. Actually, he admitted that he may have slightly overtightened it and agreed that it may affect the barrel harmonics a little bit ... but also added that I would have no issues if I wanted to back it out some.

Not real happy with spending a hundred bucks, but glad to get it back after six weeks.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You are somewhat lucky to find someone to work on the R92. Most gunsmiths are in name only and into ARs.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Based on our history with Rossi, I don't think to look to Rossi for parts. A new member posted about replacement stocks they are offering via a web store. They have a barrel band with a screw now ($9).

https://www.shoprossi.com/lever-action/ ... k-10027488

They even offer one with a sling stud now and sell studs for the butt stock ($15).

Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wow!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I finally got over the recent physical unpleasantness and was able to make the long 7.3 mile drive to the old man amusement park and punch holes in some paper with the 44 mag R92. I believe it shoots as well as before the little break down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I can't do that right now for sure.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That looks might fine!
Michael