source for 92 sights?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
willi

source for 92 sights?

Post by willi »

I would like to find a 1/8 inch wide front sight blade for my 92 (revolver style)

most sight suppliers list their sights by model and do not show dovetail dimensions.
Is the rossi92 front dovetail the same as any other model rifle or revolvers?

any other suggestions for sourcing such a sight?

thanks
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: source for 92 sights?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The Rossi 92 front sight dovetail is oversized. Skinner Sights offers a front blade specifically for the 92. I have one on mine.
newtire

Post by newtire »

willi wrote:I would like to find a 1/8 inch wide front sight blade for my 92 (revolver style)

most sight suppliers list their sights by model and do not show dovetail dimensions.

thanks
The dovetail on my new 92 octagon bbl. rifle front sight is larger than 3/8" but with 018" worth of feeler gauge under it, I got it to fit a sight I bought for a Henry. I put a Marbles tang sight (bolts right up with additional screw package) and found I needed the .420" height of that sight to get the groups to come down low enough.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

newtire wrote:
willi wrote:I would like to find a 1/8 inch wide front sight blade for my 92 (revolver style)

thanks
The dovetail on my new 92 octagon bbl. rifle front sight is larger than 3/8" but with 018" worth of feeler gauge under it, I got it to fit a sight I bought for a Henry. I put a Marbles tang sight (bolts right up with additional screw package) and found I needed the .420" height of that sight to get the groups to come down low enough.
The 'Rifle' whether octagonal OR round barreled is factory drilled and tapped for the Marbles tang sight. Extra screw in the tang.
The 'Carbine' as I recall is NOT factory drilled and tapped for the tang sight. Doesn't mean it won't work but you may have to drill and tap an extra hole.
willi

Post by willi »

HarryAlonzo wrote:The Rossi 92 front sight dovetail is oversized. Skinner Sights offers a front blade specifically for the 92. I have one on mine.
Thanks Harry, I have sent an email to Andy at Skinner as I do not see sight listed on his web page with an 1/8" blade.
newtire wrote: The dovetail on my new 92 octagon bbl. rifle front sight is larger than 3/8" but with 018" worth of feeler gauge under it, I got it to fit a sight I bought for a Henry.
Does the front sight you found for the Henry have an 1/8" blade width?
I may have to shim up a sight without the "oversize" dimension like you suggested, but I at this point, cannot even locate a front sight with an 1/8" blade.

The bigger sight sellers Ive seen online spec their sights by gun models rather than show base dimensions. Perhaps if I found a source of info that listed the different dovetails used by various different gunmakers, my search would be easier.
Archer wrote: The 'Carbine' as I recall is NOT factory drilled and tapped for the tang sight. Doesn't mean it won't work but you may have to drill and tap an extra hole.
Archer, I was going to replace my rear sight later if I found the front I was looking for.

I prefer to keep the rear sight in its mid barrel location. I am trying to set this carbine up for quick target acquisition at short range. As it measures now, the sight radius on the 16" barrel carbine is actually close to that on a 10" bbl revolver, and I intend to carry the carbine instead of the revolver, thus the revolver "sight picture" I am trying to duplicate.
When it comes to needing an actual rifle, the need will be filled with the scoped .375.

That said, I guess I will soon be looking for some sort of flattop rear sight for the 92 also.
Is the mid barrel dovetail on a 92 oversize also? Skinner offers a peep, but where would I source a flattop if I do not wish to go the shimming route?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

No problem, just pointing out that all Rossi Rifles are not factory drilled and tapped for the tang sight.

Personal preference however...
I like a peep sight close to the eye. It is nearly instant alignment to the eye and you just about automatically center the front sight.

A 1/8" front blade will cover the targets I am often shooting at beyond about 50 yards or so. I've actually been thinking about looking for a smaller front bead.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Archer wrote:No problem, just pointing out that all Rossi Rifles are not factory drilled and tapped for the tang sight.

Personal preference however...
I like a peep sight close to the eye. It is nearly instant alignment to the eye and you just about automatically center the front sight.

A 1/8" front blade will cover the targets I am often shooting at beyond about 50 yards or so. I've actually been thinking about looking for a smaller front bead.
I switched to a 1/16" bead years ago for that very reason.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

So I've found that the Rossi's are a little over cut. Making some shims from aluminum cans tighten up the dove tails so that just about any sight fits