Rear sights,

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rear sights,

Post by Model 52 »

The Skinner sights are popular, but I’ve never been a fan. Tang sights work so much better.

I’ll put the new Marbles tang sight on my Rossi 92s, but my pre 64 Model 94s all have period correct vintage sights.

The significant advantage of a tang sight over a barrel mounted sight, even the marbles bullseye style sight, is that the small aperture works for or eye just like it does for a camera lens. The small aperture increases the depth of field which means the eye can sharply focus on things over a much wider range.

I blew right through bifocals into progressive readers and I cannot see a barrel mounted sight well enough to accurately shoot with it. However a tang sight will allow me to sharply focus on the front right and an aperture rear sight naturally centers the front sight in the aperture with no need to focus on the rear sight.

When combined with an ability to change the aperture size to match the light conditions (with a flip up aperture, adjustable aperture, or replaceable inserts) you can get a sharp, bright image and maximum depth of field for the light conditions.

Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The Skinner sights are popular but I’ve never been a fan.

The Marbles bullseye style barrel mounted sight also has its followers but it’s a poor choice for older eyes as th tang sight works so much better.

Having a small aperture close to the eye works the same was as it does with a camera lens. The small aperture increases the depth of field and let’s your eye focus over a much broader range than is normally the case. There’s also no need to focus on the rear aperture as your eye naturally centers the front sight in it.

When you add the ability to adjust the aperture size, you also add the ability to use smallest aperture that still allows a bright, non grainy image and maximize the depth of field advantages.

On this Rossi 92, I have a new style Marbles tang sight with a Merit adjustable aperture and a Lyman 17 AHB front sight. I blew right through bifocals to progressive readers, but with this set up I can shoot 2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Federal 158 gr JSPs or handloaded Hornady XTPs.

I get the same accuracy with my 20” short rifle set up the same way, but with a shorter 16” barrel I can’t get quite as sharp a focus on the front sight, so I stick with 20”, 24” and 26” barrels.

This 20” Rossi carbine in .45 Colt uses the new Marbles tang sight but with the standard interchangeable inserts. It gives me three aperture sizes to choose from rather than 11 adjustable increments, but it still allows me to focus on the front sight under all reasonable light conditions.

This 1926 Model 94 26” rifle has a vintage Lyman 1A tang sight with its flip up aperture to adjust from a large to a small aperture. Only two sizes, but very quick to change and no chance of losing the aperture you don’t have installed at the time.

I do have a Model 94 Classic 26” rifle with a Williams receiver sight. (They also make it in a lower profile model with screw adjustments.). I don’t like it quite as much as a tang sight, but I like it a lot more than the Skinner receiver sight.

All three of my pre 64 Model 94 carbines are set up with either Lyman or Marbles vintage and period correct tang sights. Shown below are two of them, the top one with the smaller Merit Hunter adjustable aperture and the other with the larger target aperture. Both are click adjustable to 11 different sizes with the target aperture having a larger diameter, but biased slightly toward smaller aperture sizes.

I have a Model 94 LF 24” rifle in .38-55. It also has a new style Marbles tang sight and I use the interchangeable apertures. My BB94 in .375 Win is set up the same way.

On my shot gun butt plated Model 94 carbines, I usually inlet recesses under the butt plate for larger or smaller apertures, usually the small 1/4” wide Lyman or Marbles vintage apertures. It ensures they are always on the gun, and the inletted areas or finished with tung oil to keep the stock sealed. It is fairly quick and easy to loosen and remove the lower butt plate screw and pivot the butt plate to the side to access the aperture you want to use.

Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

jstanfield103 wrote:Another sight that I have on my 92's since, I don't care for the Skinner sights that are mounted on the barrel. Is the Marbles Bullseye sight. I have three rifles all levers with this sight mounted on them. Really rugged and easily acquired targets. I like this sight as much if not more than the Skinner and or Williams sights that I have.

Here is a Henry .357 with that Bullseye sight on it. I also have one on my Rossi 92 in .357 but do not have pictures as of yet. It will not make your eye focus quite as tight as the smaller peep of the Skinner though. But your eye's automatically center your front sight in the aperture naturally. You don't focus on it.

I've also have not favored the skinner sights. For a Marlin lever, with drilled and tapped receiver top, I think I'd prefer the Ranger Point Precision peep sight. I don't think Ranger Point has an option for the R92.

I also have installed the Marbles Bullseye sight on a couple of Winchesters, including a .450 M lever, and have been considering such for the R92 trapper I use.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Downside of the tang sight is the appearance. I don't want a big thing bolted to my gun. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Paratus

Post by Paratus »

GasGuzzler wrote:Downside of the tang sight is the appearance. I don't want a big thing bolted to my gun. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
This is an option I'm considering:

https://xssights.com/products/ghost-rin ... er-92.html
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I am not downing the tang sight. Just my experience with the one I used on a Rossi that I owned several years ago. I tried the tang sight but it interfered with my grip. If you lay your thumb along side of the comb you will have no trouble, I like to grip the comb and the tang sight was making me have to change my comfortable grip up.

Just something to think about.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I like a tang sight because it reminds me to keep my thumb forward.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/why- ... like-that/
tj3006

Post by tj3006 »

Thanks to jstanfield !
I put the Marbles Bullseye rear sight on it. Have not shot the gun yet, so I don't know if I will need to change the front yet, But in good light the sight is excellent , and was only 20.00 !! ...tj
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

My others did not need the front sight changed but the 16" barrel did on mine. Good luck and let us know how you like it.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

I too am a fan of the Marbles Bullseye and have it on my 454. I did not need to change the front sight (20" barrel). That said, I have just added a green fiber optic front, but I have not shot since that change.