R92 44mag distance between guides needed

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
oley55

R92 44mag distance between guides needed

Post by oley55 »

Reference this old thread: http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... 5&start=10, I am well into boolit casting and I am now willing to putz with this rifle again.

The problem I encountered was/is the distance between the bullet guides are too narrow to pass a loaded round with the cast bullets I will need. Today, using some minus pin gauges the largest gauge pin that will pass between the guides was a .452" (.4518").

So there's the need, any folks out there with an R92 in 44mag who have pin gauges to measure the distance between the guides. Reaching down in there with calipers give a good estimate but difficult to be accurate. Just trying to determine if my guides are abnormally close together or not. And if they are, what should they be?

fyi: The guides I'm talking about are on either side of and above the ramp.
R92 .357 Mag, Case hardened, 24"
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan -
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: R92 44mag distance between guides needed

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I have access to pin gauges at work. I’ll bring a handful home tomorrow and let you know what I find. I can’t promise that our set is complete in that range.
oley55

Post by oley55 »

It looks like I may have solved the narrow guide opening without specific measurements or overt modifications. Today I did a complete disassembly and carefully examined the guide faces. For lack of a better description the guides appear to have been stamped out pieces with some slight ridges along the edges. I took a very fine file to them and knocked the ridges mostly off. The guides are either painted or blued and I was able file across their faces and not disturb the flat central black finish, which means I didn't remove any material except the ridges. Reassembled, I now have .4569" between the guides and my normal loaded rounds functioned perfectly. I even loaded a few dummy rounds with .434" bullets (my barrel slugs at .433") and they functioned as well.

For years I have been fearful of touching those guides and have never been able to try my own cast bullets. I gotta say I'm feeling pretty stoked right now.
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan -
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Nice! I measured .458 with a minus pin.
oley55

Post by oley55 »

I really appreciate the effort and the measurement. Is the .458" the pin or actual diameter of the pin? My Chinesium minus pins are a wee bit different from pin to pin so I usually mic them.

I may have to open my guides a little bit more later on. I'm shooting old Federal brass with too many firings to estimate (1985 vintage and still going). As is the three dummy rounds I loaded measure .4575", .4586", .4598". Fortunately the nose of bullet and brass ride the ramp up just ahead of the end of the guides. Will just have to wait n see after I load more than a few.
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I didn’t mic these pins and I don’t know their country of origin. I can tell you that my .458 pin was a bit sticky in one spot, so a real Quality Engineer may have called it .457.