Can't remove rear barrel band screw

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 5380

Can't remove rear barrel band screw

Post by Deleted User 5380 »

Hi there,

I half-expect this is a fairly common topic, so forgive me if I have overlooked a sticky or something on this.

I've owned about half a dozen Rossi 92's over the years, but the two I own currently are both fairly recent CBC-made ones. Both are in .45 Colt; both 16" barrels. Both were bought brand new; one stainless, one blued. The blued one I just got last week.

I recently completed a simple refinish job on the stock of my stainless one. I am intending to refinish the wood on my new blued one as well, but I cannot for the life of me get the rear barrel band screw to budge. I have tried allowing Kroil to sit overnight on the threaded site one night, and tried allowing Kroil to sit on the head side the next night. It won't budge.

I've read from an old thread from Ranch Dog that the factory tends to overtorque these things. I suspect this is the case on this one as well.

One difference I notice on this new 92 compared to the other ones I've owned is that the forearm is slimmer -- its edges seem to ride fairly flush along the metal lines of the receiver and the barrel band. The only other M92 I've handled that had a similar was an old Interarms M92 my father used to have many years ago. By contrast, the forearm on my stainless one, and most of the other Rossi's I've owned, stands a bit proud, giving a slightly chunkier appearance.

There is also a noticeable amount of play in the forearm on my new one. The rear of the forearm near the receiver can slide up and down about 1-2mm, and it can be rocked forward and rearward about 1mm. When the front barrel band is removed, the magazine tube can be rotated fairly freely, leading me to believe that the magazine tube relief cut is not the issue.

It makes me wonder if they overtorqued the barrel band screw in the factory, thus deforming the band, and creating tension at the band point itself, without securing the forearm in the rear toward the receiver. Also possibly of note is the fact that a fair sliver of daylight can be seen between the barrel and the barrel band on the top.

BOTTOM LINE: What can I do to get this dang screw out from here without risking damage to the barrel or forearm? I've almost defaced the screw head, and don't want to work on it anymore without a plan. 've already gone ahead and preemptively ordered a new barrel band and screw from Rossi (didn't want to bother trying my luck with customer service).

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your time.
jstanfield103

Re: Can't remove rear barrel band screw

Post by jstanfield103 »

I bought an Impact Driver 1/4" drive for my Uberti 1873. It works great on those tight screws.

P89DC

Post by P89DC »

I use a small point solder iron to apply precise heating. Softens up hard to move screws. I also have a set of hollow ground screwdrivers that fit the hard to move screwhead nice and tight.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Deleted User 5380

Post by Deleted User 5380 »

Thanks for the tips. I finally got it out.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

When you put it back together you might try compressing the band with a small clamp. I've used one for install and removal...