Rossi 92 Safety Replacement Plug

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mr Bowcat

Rossi 92 Safety Replacement Plug

Post by Mr Bowcat »

Good afternoon all. :)

I will be picking up my new to me 92 in .44 in a couple of weeks and have been researching upgrades for it (because I can't help but tinker). I'm going to be fitting the Paco Kelly spring set which I can get from Brownells UK, but I'm also wanting to fit the blanking plug for the safety.

Problem is, Steves Gunz won't deliver outside of the USA, so I'm going to have to make one. I have a lathe and some skill in using it, but I assume it's not just a case of pressure fitting a round object in the hole, so wondered if anyone had a link to making one? I have Googled, but without success.

Cheers,
B
Headhog

Re: Rossi 92 Safety Replacement Plug

Post by Headhog »

Since you have a lathe I would take a crack at turning down a 5/16" stainless hex head bolt. I'd remove the safety and use it for the dimensions I needed. I don't think it would take much effort at all.
Mr Bowcat

Post by Mr Bowcat »

Thanks for that. Presumably it will need a cross hole drilled for a pin?
s1xty7

Post by s1xty7 »

There is indeed a pin on my newer CBC stainless 357 which presumably is the same as others. It fits in a slot across the front of the safety. It will be obvious once you drift out the pin to remove the safety. I'd take height and depth measurements from the bolt itself as there appears to be quite the variance. I ordered Steve's safety replacement peep sight and the plug that the sight screws into that the kit came with is quite a bit different than the original safety, dimensionally.

Also, when removing the safety, there is a spring and a really tiny ball bearing that will eject itself. I'd recommend removing it inside an enclosed container, like a big food storage bag, or you're going to be hunting for those original pieces forever (I retained mine in case I ever want to restore it to original).
Mr Bowcat

Post by Mr Bowcat »

Thanks for that. :)
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

There was a video on Youtube with a guy who used a cut down shell case. Can't remember what calibre the case was but he certainly appeared to know what he was doing. I have the safety on my Rossi but it doesn't bother me, I just ignore the damn thing.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

ManxTom wrote:There was a video on Youtube with a guy who used a cut down shell case. Can't remember what calibre the case was but he certainly appeared to know what he was doing. I have the safety on my Rossi but it doesn't bother me, I just ignore the damn thing.
If I'm remembering correctly it was a 25ACP case.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

ManxTom wrote:There was a video on Youtube with a guy who used a cut down shell case. Can't remember what calibre the case was but he certainly appeared to know what he was doing.
Ohio3Wheels wrote: If I'm remembering correctly it was a 25ACP case.
That sounds right to me. I've seen that video as well as a bunch of others that he made. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any of them. I wonder if his channel got taken down.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

There are a lot of plastic plugs that will work really good. Some hardware store like Ace have a good supply of them. You can also notch em so the pin will hold them in place.

A lot cheaper and they look just as good...of course black is all that I have found.