Latest CBC rossi 92 44mags bore size

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Latest CBC rossi 92 44mags bore size

Post by runfiverun »

the 44 problem really got rolling with the 44 special.
Winchester had the 44-40 down about as pat as you could get it during the time frame it was made.
there was of course some dimensional variations, but if you had to turn 20 barrels a day by hand you'd come out a bit different each time too.

the poor 44 isn't the only one that suffers from dimensionalitis.
the 45-70, 45 colt and even the 38-357 and 9mm all have variations in throat shapes [or no throats in the case of the 9mm] and barrel dimensions.
there's 38 target guns out there with 355 and even 354 grooved barrels, and 9mm's with 358 holes attached to them.
some older colts have such generous throats you need a 458 diameter bullet, newer ones closer to 454 and even newish [90's era Rossi] lever rifles with 451 barrels on them.

if you want consistent you need a 41 Magnum they have all pretty much been 410 throat-409 groove across the board.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I seem to recall reading that the .45 Colt got downsized a few thou after war production of the .45 ACP. With all the .451/452" production equipment lying around nobody was going to waste time and money putting together new .454 tooling.

Probably similar migration of the .44-40 from .427 to .429 with the older cartridge taking a clean break for the war(s) and probably only being revived decades later after the .429 was standardized for later cartridges.

Chamber dimensions have always varied a few thou from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Winchester was infamous for more freebore on their bolt guns than the other major domestic manufacturers. Weatherby was maybe worse. At least some of Ruger's historical issues with tight throats had nothing to do with machining the inside of the barrel and everything to do with a miss match between the fit of the frame threads and the barrel threads. Somewhere around here there's either a link to an article about constrictions in the barrel due to dovetail sight slots, barrel bands and forearms etc. or a copy of the text.

In addition as the chamber reamers and other tooling wears there's more potential for tolerance stack.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

Freebore?
some call for a Marlin... LOL
they make weatherby's look slightly worn down from shooting.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

The second R92 that I bought (2013-14) was a 16" 44mag. It was the best looking and cycling of the bunch but I was lucky to hit a basketball at 20 yards. Those were bad times for ammo and I wasn't reloading then so I sold it.

I did pickup a CBC 20" carbine in 2021 in 44. It was a beautiful gun (Rossi bluing is 2nd to none) I admit that I never gave it a chance. I wasn't happy with the first few range trips. I bought dies and a few different oversized projectiles.

I got a good deal on it and wound up trading it and all of the components that I had for a Mini 30.

I had/have a Winchester 92 short rifle in 45 long colt. I should have bought 45 instead of the 44.

It's been my experience that the CBC guns have the some old problems that the previous Braztech guns have. They can be fixed with a little $ and some work. Again, the bluing is so nice.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got a couple of the .44s in stainless I can't help but think I've seen somewhat better finish.
The blued .357 is not too bad but IMO could still be better.

The Mini's have gone WAY up. I'm seeing them running about 40-50% over pre-pandemic prices.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:Got a couple of the .44s in stainless I can't help but think I've seen somewhat better finish.
The blued .357 is not too bad but IMO could still be better.

The Mini's have gone WAY up. I'm seeing them running about 40-50% over pre-pandemic prices.
Yeah, the one and only R92 I had in SS should have been a lot better. It was turrible..

I'd love to see a Mini blued by CBC...hec, I'd like to see one of my Springfield 1911 park finished guns with Rossi bluing.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Trekker,

Why don’t you hold out for a 788?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

trekker wrote:yep aware of the issues with Ruger 77's, its why every day I wish Remington would suddenly reappear with the 788 action in 44. We do have a few 44/77's left in stores here. As to cost its about the same as Rossi once you put a rail on it.

Look not knocking rossis specifically, but seriously, hasnt a single engineer at Remington, Marlin, Ruger, Winchester, Chiappa , Rossi ever decided to check what customers are saying for THE LAST 60 YEARS. That no one wants 1:30 or 1:38 twists and variable bore sizes.

Let me put it another way . Do the engineers at gun companies understand what their revolvers slug at? Do they have measuring tools in that department? And even if Saami has 1, 2, 3, infinity or zero opinions on the same calibre in a rifle, why do something completely different?
I went through this a number of years ago simply because I knew my shoulder was going back and my favorite, the 444 Marlin, would be retired. On my ranch, the 44 Mag has all the whitetail & hog power I needed. I started with the Marlin 336-44, and moved on to 1894. Neither of them were smooth rifles. Both had excessive throats to ease chambering; of the two, the 336-44 was the better rifle.

I like bolt rifles just as much as I do levers, so I bought a Ruger 77/44. It was a horrible rifle. Read about them in detail. You end up needing bolt shim kits and other things. The integral scope mounts are the worst on any Ruger rifle. The 77/44 is the quickest turn I've ever made on a rifle. A bit funny, I bought my rifle on 9/15/16, and Ruger announced that it was being discontinued on 9/16/16. I could believe the email; there was a reason it was dropped. Ruger had the Auto and then the Lever 44, but they had their issues as well.

So, I'm sitting around waiting on a 788. I decided I'd pay a grand or better for a clean rifle and nothing but beaters showing up on the auctions. These were pre-COVID and pre-Brandon prices.

While waiting, I had a Winchester 94 Timber Scout come up in a search. I didn't know a thing about them, but Winchester had good info on all their models, past and present. Only 500 of the 44 Mag were made. The rifle was new in the box, so I bought it. The rifle ended up being what I had been looking for twenty years. They also made 1000 rifles chambered in 30-30 Win. I found one in no time and bought it. They are beautiful rifles cut on spec, attention paid to feeding cartridges. Their accuracy is unmatched. I started selling my Rossi's after buying the two Winchester rifles.

New in the box, the rifle cost me $1000. Doesn't seem like much now.

Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

My Dad bought a 788 in 222 at a local auction in Michigan last October. I just brought it home last week and cleaned and re-scoped it yesterday. I read a lot about these before searching, also. Yes, the mag is rattly and the bolt is a bit rough. The trigger has a terrible reputation, but mine is quite good. If it were rough, Timney makes a replacement. The stock is birch, but somebody went to the trouble of checkering it. I might replace mine, just because I’m not overjoyed with the LOP and I hate to chop on an original stock. Boyds offers an array of replacements for the 788. EGW makes a nice Picatinny rail for the 788, also.

If I just couldn’t live without a bolt action in 44 Mag, it would be a 788.
sfc_mark

Post by sfc_mark »

trekker wrote:Hi Fellas, has anyone slugged barrels on a recent CBC made 44 mag? I had read they went as large as .434 but then heard later models were more like .429. If anyone has bought and slugged one of the latest batches would be interested to hear.
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I did slug the 16" 44 mag that I bought new in July. If I'm not totally screwing up the measurement, mine slugged at .433 :( There are a few oversized mold choices, but not nearly as many as .430. I may try the LBT 260 WFN. I can buy a box from Montana Bullet Company to try before springing $125 for the mold