Latest CBC rossi 92 44mags bore size

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

Latest CBC rossi 92 44mags bore size

Post by trekker »

Hi Fellas, has anyone slugged barrels on a recent CBC made 44 mag? I had read they went as large as .434 but then heard later models were more like .429. If anyone has bought and slugged one of the latest batches would be interested to hear.
GasGuzzler

Re: Latest CBC rossi 92 44mags bore size

Post by GasGuzzler »

Haven't heard of anyone needing to so I would think they must be close to .429". Most people only slug one when it doesn't shoot right.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

trekker wrote:Hi Fellas, has anyone slugged barrels on a recent CBC made 44 mag? I had read they went as large as .434 but then heard later models were more like .429. If anyone has bought and slugged one of the latest batches would be interested to hear.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone here has slugged a .44 Rossi 92 of any generation. Here's why . . .

It seems to be a well-kept secret that there are two SAAMI standards for .44 Remington Magnum -- one for pistols and one for rifles. Your guess is as good as mine as to how and why this happened. This has caused more than a little consternation among Browning B-92 owners (I'm one) on various forums. Complaints that they won't shoot with any kind of accuracy is usually blamed on the slow twist rate of 1:38. The fact is the B-92 made by Miroku is bored to SAAMI rifle specs (.431). Mine will not shoot .430 cast bullets at all. Some arrive sideways at 50 yards. But, shooting Penn's 240 gr TC bullets sized to .432, it delivers tight groups with round bullet holes.

It would seem to have made more sense if Browning (Miroku) had made their barrels .429, but they didn't. Originally the .44/40 specified a slightly smaller bullet diameter. I also own a Chiappa 1892 in .44/40, but its barrel is bored to .44 Remington Magnum SAAMI pistol standards (.429). It shoots .430 bullets with delightful accuracy and uniformity.

So . . . Who has slugged a Rossi 92 in .44 and what did you find?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trekker

Post by trekker »

plenty of threads on slugging rossi92's in 44 mag if you run a search on google, this site and others. Was after latest reports though, anything made in the last year or two.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... i-92-today
http://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5788
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=64099

As to lever gun specs I agree I never could figure out why they are so variable. its like the engineers or designers say okay we have a new model coming out and they draw straws on bore size.

I google marlin 94, chiappa, Rossi, henry, uberti and you get readings of anywhere from .429-.434, even variations in the same model. :(
trekker

Post by trekker »

aha this thread has a fella with a fairly new one and it slugs at .432.

http://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6733

meanwhile other 2020 rossi from same period are slugging at .429.

This is just silly. There is no need for this. Its no wonder bolt action guys call them nostalgic toys. They were never meant to be a precision instrument but how can there be so much bore variance all the time. You dont see this with bolt actions Imagine 308 owners saying ýeah mine slugs at .312 or .313. lol.

You dont even see this with shotgun chokes!
Last edited by trekker on 20 Jul 2022 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Im done with them, finding me a ruger 77/44.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

trekker wrote:Im done with them, finding me a ruger 77/44.
Good luck with that.
Give us a report back on it.

I'd be interested in how long it takes you to find it?
what it slugs when you have a chance to check it?
Whether or not it feeds smooth?
What it costs you for the gun?
What a spare mag runs you?
What kind of groups you get out of it?
What kind of ammo it likes, including bullet weight vs. velocities?

and anything else you'd be willing to share.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

trekker wrote:Hi Fellas, has anyone slugged barrels on a recent CBC made 44 mag?
trekker wrote:plenty of threads on slugging rossi92's in 44 mag if you run a search on google
:?: :roll:

And .44-40 has always been over the map so it's a bad example.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Archer wrote:
trekker wrote:Im done with them, finding me a ruger 77/44.
Good luck with that.
Give us a report back on it.

I'd be interested in how long it takes you to find it?
what it slugs when you have a chance to check it?
Whether or not it feeds smooth?
What it costs you for the gun?
What a spare mag runs you?
What kind of groups you get out of it?
What kind of ammo it likes, including bullet weight vs. velocities?

and anything else you'd be willing to share.
yep aware of the issues with Ruger 77's, its why every day I wish Remington would suddenly reappear with the 788 action in 44. We do have a few 44/77's left in stores here. As to cost its about the same as Rossi once you put a rail on it.

Look not knocking rossis specifically, but seriously, hasnt a single engineer at Remington, Marlin, Ruger, Winchester, Chiappa , Rossi ever decided to check what customers are saying for THE LAST 60 YEARS. That no one wants 1:30 or 1:38 twists and variable bore sizes.

Let me put it another way . Do the engineers at gun companies understand what their revolvers slug at? Do they have measuring tools in that department? And even if Saami has 1, 2, 3, infinity or zero opinions on the same calibre in a rifle, why do something completely different?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Based on Ruger's historical issues with tight throats/ forcing cones, maybe not.