Rossi 92 Scope mount/rail: Skinner, Noe, or ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rsiros66pr

Rossi 92 Scope mount/rail: Skinner, Noe, or ?

Post by rsiros66pr »

Hi all… new member and new Rossi 92 owner (.357 20” blued). I wanted to get your opinions on the Skinner, Noe, and other scope rails/mounts that are available. I have a Vortex crossfire scout 2-7 that I will put on it for deer season (straight wall only here) and would like to know which scope mount would work best. I know it’s not a great look on this rifle, but for my eyes, I need the magnification for hunting.
9x80Drilling

Re: Rossi 92 Scope mount/rail: Skinner, Noe, or ?

Post by 9x80Drilling »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Where in PA are you? I grew up in Berks County on 30 acres surrounded by hundreds of undeveloped forest and some farm land.
I have a NOE rail on my stainless .45 Colt 92. Presently I have a Burris 2.75 Scout scope on it. I'm vey satisfied with the look and the function.
rsiros66pr

Post by rsiros66pr »

Thanks! I’m south of Pittsburgh, but near the city, they started allowing straight walled cartridges (only slugs before). I have friends up there to hunt with and am excited to get this Rossi ready for the fall. Thanks for your feedback on the rail!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I believe the Skinner rail is lower(good) and further aft (bad) than the NOE rail. For a longish scope like your’s, the NOE may be a better fit. I have the NOE with a Swift 2-1/2 or a red dot.

Welcome!
rsiros66pr

Post by rsiros66pr »

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean the Skinner is situated more towards the butt of the rifle? I’d like to mount the scope as close possible to the ejection port to balance the look.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

rsiros66pr wrote:I’d like to mount the scope as close possible to the ejection port to balance the look.
Almost impossible on an 1892 clone. They always look goofy because of how forward they are. With the proper scout scope they work well according to the fine folks here. This topic probably gets brought up more than any other here and there are some really good posts with pictures and all.

Welcome.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

rsiros66pr wrote:Thanks! Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean the Skinner is situated more towards the butt of the rifle? I’d like to mount the scope as close possible to the ejection port to balance the look.
Yes. A bit of overhang on the ejection port is fine, but with your scope and the Skinner mount, there may be too much. And you may run out of rail for the front ring. I don’t think either rail maker provides dimensions. If you can’t satisfy yourself by eyeballing photos, I could provide NOE dimensions and someone else here can give you Skinner dimensions.
rsiros66pr

Post by rsiros66pr »

I’ll definitely check through some old threads for pictures. Are there any rings that are better/worse with this scope and mount combo? Thanks again.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I have the Skinner rail, its 129.6mm long, and sits 5.3mm forward from the receiver edge . The rail sits 4.3mm high at the rear from the barrel.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

NOE is 115 mm L, 39 mm away from the receiver and 11 mm tall (overall).