.454 Anyone ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
sandog

.454 Anyone ?

Post by sandog »

No, it's not mine, but a friend traded for one today.
A 20 inch stainless R92 in .454 Casull, it came with a Steve's bolt peep.

He traded a bare bones AR-15 for it, he said he had around $550 in the AR.

He took it out and shot it with .45 Colt loads, had to raise the peep up so much it was barely threaded in.
I brought over my bin of front sights so he could find a lower one

Curt got a Henry in .45 Colt a few months ago so he's been loading for that.
He says he's probably going to sell the Henry .45 now that he has the Rossi.

He heard somewhere that .45 Colt dies will work for loading.454.
He'll have to get some .454 brass to load some but I imagine he'll shoot .45 Colt most of the time.

Whoever had this 92 before him took off the rear leaf sight and did a good job blending in a slot blank.
The two holes either side of the dovetail were also filled in, you can see where they were but barely.

No other holes for the rail on the barrel like my R92 has.
Maybe it had them but they were filled in nicely ?

The magazine tube on the .454 looks fat, almost fatter than the barrel.
This .454 must not be too old as it has both the loading gate and a slot in the tube.
Didn't Rossi quit making these a few years ago, or did they start again recently ?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: .454 Anyone ?

Post by Archer »

Someone else will no doubt be able to give you a better rundown on how many they might have made and when but yes they stopped putting out .454s some time ago.

The mag tube for the .454 and the .45 Colt should be the same diameter. The .454 typically needs to be threaded into the receiver to avoid being pulled by recoil forces rather than a slip fit where the band screws and the end of the end cap screw pretty much works for up to .44 Mag. Might be another reason for the dual port mag setup.
GasGuzzler

Re: .454 Anyone ?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I had a blued one. Sold it for $1200 before the panic pricing.

Ranger Point Precision makes a sight filler blank that fits nearly perfectly on two Marlins and that R92.

The .480 and .454 have threaded tubes. I think they are the same diameter, larger than the .45 Colt.

I have never seen a slotted magazine tube for loading on any Rossi.

Not all Rossis have holes to mount a rail. The two R92s I have owned did not, including the .454 which was from the "Puma" era (but without the cat head logo). The .357 is an original Amedeo Rossi pre-safety rifle from the 1980's. Octagon barrelled Rossis don't have holes either.

My Steve's safety delete sight was not impressive.

My .357 has hardly any writing on it, no plastic parts from the factory, a normal rear sight (compared to the pointy weird sight from the newer ones), and no safety. Short comings are barrel band front sight and no parts support.

There's more than half a dozen different generations/iterations of R92s.

This is without any fitting work at all by me. Good enough I left it as is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.