Spring Kit and 357 OAL

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mehlo

Re: Spring Kit and 357 OAL

Post by mehlo »

I've swapped the ejector spring and the action is incredible smooth.

Been at the range yesterday and noticed that the Rossi doesn't feed some of my 357s (handloaded) when I go really fast on the lever. If I go slow, no problem at all.

38 special is no problem, no matter how fast I work the lever. Iā€˜m rather new to lever actions, but looking at the action and how the bullets are chambered O sure understand that those guns(1892 must be finicky on OAL.
I'm using .357 cases from different manufacturers like GECO, Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, PPU, so I can image that there are slight differences in OAL.

Is there a general recommendation to the .357 OAL for the Rossis or should I figure out through trial and error? OAL of my bullets is below maximum https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/tdcc/ ... num-en.pdf(40,39mm, 1,590" , but I can't tell exactly right now.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Exactly the opposite of most 92s in that USUALLY they want to be run quickly and smartly. Lever all the way down and then all the way up. One smooth quick motion each way.

Most manuals suggest a specific OAL for EACH of their loads that changes with different bullet weights and possibly types. For example a 230 grain .45 ACP will probably have a different OAL for 230 grain ball as opposed to 230 grain JHP. A 200 grain LSWC will possibly have a different OAL than either of the other two.

START with the suggested OAL.
Assuming it does not stick in the lands when chambered see how it feeds and how it shoots.
(IF it sticks in the lands or you get indications like bullets stuck in the throat or rifleing engraved on the bullet you may need to shorten up the OAL and try again. BE extremely careful if you are at max load levels as shortening the cartridge tends to increase the pressure. There are ways of checking to see where your lands are in your barrel. The GENERAL recommendation is to load so that you are 'close' to the lands. You DON'T want to stick the bullet in the lands and you especially don't want to lock up the action that way.

Since you will probably want to crimp your bullets in place so they don't impact in the magazine tube either under the spring compression or under recoil it is not a bad idea to trim the cases to the same length. That helps with a uniform crimp. It also helps to get a uniform OAL which is necessary for the bullet to have the same jump to the lands each shot.
mehlo

Post by mehlo »

Archer wrote:Exactly the opposite of most 92s in that USUALLY they want to be run quickly and smartly. Lever all the way down and then all the way up. One smooth quick motion each way.
I know, but in my case it works better when the action is worked slower, but all way down & up.

Yesterday I've tried to check where the cartridges are jamming.
the rim of the cartridges get stuck at the opening of the cartridge guides, so maybe the issue is more like in this Thread https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... =44&t=4324
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.