NEW Rossi single-shot 44mag!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: NEW Rossi single-shot 44mag!

Post by Mad Trapper »

Sarge wrote:The rifle obviously doesn't like red bullets.

Welcome aboard.
I read that and about spit coffee all over my laptop.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

They do load easier now but seem to hang up a bit on the mag tube? I haven't messed with it again except to soak the barrel ring screw with some PB Blaster. Have deformed the slot in the screw, if it doesn't turn easy I'll try an impact driver.
Harbor Freight 7/32 x 1.5 spring in the ejector made a difference, feels better.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

OK, progress report. I should be promoted to 2nd asst. to gunsmith 3rd class...

Buggered the slot on the front barrel band screw, Popeye is alive at the Rossi plant!
popeye.gif
Ha Ranchdog, stole your pic.

That sucker was in there tight. Glad I got that impact driver years ago for motorcycles.
92 f band screw impact.jpg
Condition of forend. Will cut out a strip.
92_forend.jpg
Evidence, a bit of red powdercoat from loading. I'll try blue or white, maybe that'll help!
92_rcvr mag hole.jpg
After I got that front band screw out & removed the barrel bands (rear band screw was tight too)
the mag tube came out easy. Chamfered the mouth of the mag tube, receiver end. Figure while it's apart
I'll attempt the setscrew mod and shorten the mag plug screw.
Will reblue all the bare spots. Both grind spots on the barrel had burrs. Rear band had sharp edges,
front band was good.

Funny, the bolt pin cap screw was real loose out of the box, noticed that right away. No wonder they go missing.
I got an extra one of those with the band screw.

EDIT: Before all this it fed OK with 44spl LHP loads. I have a 225gn 44 SWC mould that I swage in a HP die, kinda rounded. Also have swaged a 180gn 40 in the same die, that might be a winner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Woohoo! +guns Success! Or maybe a Rossi self-healing miracle...

Chamfered the receiver end of the mag tube, seems to have helped.
Think I need to lighten the gate spring a little more but figured out to push in on it as the cartridge rim gets to the edge of the port.
44 test samples.jpg
Only tried these loads so far, both 44spls load and feed.
top: 220 jfp 1.510" , forget what brand
mid: 225 cast rfn 1.465"
(tried a 44mag with same bullet, 1.645", also good)
bottom: 260 swaged jhp 1.7", ridiculously long for the 92, almost became a permanent part of the receiver.

Nose came up, rim went down, nose hung on top of chamber, wouldn't move anywhere. Used screwdriver and finger to move the cartridge stop over, push the round back against the ejector, and lift the case head all at the same time. Finally got the nose down into the magazine. Didn't have to remove bolt assy.

I read something in here about cartridge guides, didn't click until today...
stuck in rcvr.jpg
Now I know what you're talking about, where to file the notch, but I'm gonna hold off 'til maybe someday.
See if I can adjust my rounds first. This one needs maybe 1/8", don't wanna screw it up for the one load.
This load is set to just fit in the Redhawk cylinder so it doesn't poke out. Bullets swaged from cut down 40 s&w cases & cast 40s. Easy but a lot more steps than casting & powdercoating.

Question: the last 1/8" or so of feeding into the chamber seems pretty stiff, takes more force. I haven't "slicked up" the action other than replacing the ejector spring. Normal or another mod?

PS: when you insert the mag. spring, then the mag. plug, DON"T drop the little black screw on the dark brown area rug! You'll feel like an idiot (that's me) holding a finger on it while searching with a flashlight.

PPS: Does this rifle qualify as an AR? Somebody posted about Amadeo Rossi. I thought I had plenty ARs.

Another one: found out you can load and feed rounds without a mag. spring. Gravity is our friend, sometimes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Forgot to mention, this forend is wide open, don't think it needs cutting.
Blew off the setscrew idea, figure both barrel band screws hold the mag tube so I'll see how it goes.
If I get vertical stringing will shorten the mag plug screw.
Probably typed too much, bad about that.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The last 1/8" stiffness is likely the zealous ejector spring.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Hey, thanks but I replaced that already with the Harbor Freight variety (spring kit is still $5).

Took it to the range yesterday, they were on a cease fire. Then somebody else showed up, then somebody else showed up, took half an hour before I could start my 20 min. test. Nice day though.
It shoots pretty good, specials and mags. Specials were a little high at 25 yards, mags were right on at 100.
My loads are not barn-burners. Not sure I will change out the sights just yet.
No misfeeds. No target, I'm a natural-born killer of dirt clods & weed clumps.
I'm sure there's more to do to smooth it out but at least I know it works!

Edit: What's all the talk about butt pads? Kick was negligible, shootin off a sandbag at the bench.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

LOTS happening in that last 1/8".

Locking lugs sliding in as tight as they are going to get.
Lever final caming into place with the lever lock.
Bolt closing that last 1/8" slipping the ejector flush with the bolt face.
Bolt closing that last 1/8" may snap the extractor in place.

IF there's a gain of sand anywhere in the mechanisms in question it's can up the friction effects by about 10 fold.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Thanks, that is a lot. Well now that I know it's a keeper maybe I'll tear it down again and do some polishing.
I did the brake cleaner spray job, figured I'd run it dry for a while. Maybe I should tune in a couple western movies and work the action!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I dunno about that running it dry thing. Brake cleaner will make it drier than dry.