Range Time with the Ladder Sight and Decibel Testing

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
sandog

Range Time with the Ladder Sight and Decibel Testing

Post by sandog »

I got out today to shoot the 92 with my "refurbished" ladder sight. The slide had broken off (and spring was missing) but I got the parts I needed from Taylor and Co.

The load I have the most of now is the HSM 158 grain plated FP over 5 grains of W231 in Starline .357 brass.
It gets around 1000 fps. in the 4 inch S&W, maybe 300 more in the short Rossi.
I had loaded them on the mild side for a cheap, steady diet for the revolver.
I got the carbine later, or I'd probably have cranked out stouter loads with slower powder for it.

I first shot at 25 and 50 yards to check short range impacts, then set up the targets at 100, 125 and 150 yards.
With my ".357 Lite" ammo, I was slightly high at 25, dead on at 50, 5 inches low at 100.
That is with the ladder down, using the v notch at the back of the sight.

With the ladder up, and the slide all the way down, I shot at 125 yards and hit 6 inches high (but a nice 3 inch cloverleaf). At 150 yards it was dead on.
I'll try some loads that are more "magnum" like next, as I'd like to lessen that 5 inch drop at 100 yards.
A faster load would also make my zero range closer with the ladder up/slide at bottom, maybe 125 yards.
A different height front sight might be needed then, but I have an assortment of those to pick from.

Something else I wanted to try was checking the decibels of shots from .38 and .357 from both revolver and carbine.
No, I don't have a nice handheld meter, but I downloaded an app for my phone called Sound Meter.
Not sure of the accuracy but it seems sensitive.
My living room with a quiet fan reads at 48 decibels, and deep breaths next to the phone made it go up a couple decibels.

I tried to keep the phone in the same position under the muzzle for both handgun and long gun.
The .38 loads I tried in the S&W gave 100 decibels, and some Norma factory ,357 158 FMJs that get 1350 out of the handgun were 105 decibels.

Same loads out of the 16" Rossi were 90 for .38 Special and 95 decibels for the .357 ammo.
I would have thought that .357 ammo out of the 4 inch handgun would have been more like 130+ decibels but maybe my meter app is that far off.
At least the difference should be consistent using the same device on my guns.
Common noises chart from an I-phone app: ( mine is a different app for Android).
https://decibelpro.app/blog/decibel-cha ... d-sources/
I wish I knew someone that had a 20 inch barrel in .357 to compare, but the only guy I know close by has 2 .357 carbines, one a Marlin and one an older Amadeo Rossi, but they are both 16's as well.
Even if the same loads are just as loud when they exit the muzzle of a 20 inch barrel vs .a 16", the negative effect of the blast is lessened by getting the muzzle farther away from the ears.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Range Time with the Ladder Sight and Decibel Testing

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice work and thanks for the lead on the app. I have a use for such.
Michael
sandog

Post by sandog »

I got the idea for the app from a guy on the Ford Ranger forum. I think all of us Ranger owners were wondering why the cab is so much noisier in the new Ranger than say an F-150.

I might try a different decibel app for my Galaxy to see if I like it better than Sound Meter.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Sound pressure measurement is notoriously difficult, particularly with a short report like a muzzle blast. Cell phone microphones are amazing for their size, but they’re nothing like what is provided on a real sound pressure meter. They’re typically designed to clip loud reports. Speaking as a nattering nabob of negativity, I wouldn’t trust any cell phone app for a muzzle blast measurement, even a relative reading.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Agreed.

I filmed myself and my Single Six to compare CB Shorts to 22WMR.

No good.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
sandog

Post by sandog »

I described above what the .357 rounds were, Norma factory.
But I realized I just said .38 Special, and no details.

They are R-P 158 grain JHP +P .38 Special, that have the semi jacketed scalloped hollow point.
These loads are probably the most accurate factory loads I've fired in a long time.
I shot groups with them out of a long barreled M686 and they are also good out of the M66 and R92.

And they are NOT wimpy.
Whether shot out of the S&W or the Rossi, their recoil and blast is much more similar to the .357 ammo than my mild load in .357 brass.

My friend's old Amadeo Rossi ( blued 16" .357) is stunning. First time I saw it, I probably let out an audible gasp. The polishing and bluing is that good. Too bad they don't make 'em like that anymore.
Last edited by sandog on 25 May 2022 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Nice looking rigs, Sandog ! I don't have a long gun in 357 mag, but play with S&W ,357 mag revolvers as well. Lately I've been favoring load development for 180 grain cast pugnose bullets, as sold by Missouri Bullet Co. They hit the steel gongs with quite a bit of authority.

I like the ladder sight on your rossi 92.

Nice you can still get out on public land to set up targets and shoot. The Forest Service has closed the National Forests indefinitely due to very extreme fire danger. BLM has restricted many activities including recreational shooting on lands it manages. Hope the summer monsoons come quickly.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
sandog

Post by sandog »

I had read about someone else using the pug nose bullets from MBC, I looked them up and was thinking I'd like those. I need to order more bullets soon.

I know what you mean about the fire restrictions. Coconino County, north of here, just upped to a Stage II level. The last couple years we've had a month or so where we couldn't go shoot on public land until the monsoon came and restrictions were lifted.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Along with the 180 gr. pugnose cast bullets from MBC, I've also had some good performance from some very similar 158 gr. WFN cast bullets. Short of a wadcutter, these cast bullets present about the largest diameter meplat I've seen for commercially available standard weight .357 bullets. I don't cast my own.

Here is a link to where I found the 158 gr. WFN cast bullets.

http://www.thecastbulletshop.com/35-caliber38-357-18

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.45.49 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Here's the 180 I cast and load for .357 magnum.

It's a GC design from NOE with two crimp groove choices and weighs about 183 when complete. It is a .360" diameter bullet I size to .358" before the powder coat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.