Not my First 92, but my First .357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: Not my First 92, but my First .357

Post by GasGuzzler »

Rossi serial numbers have proven to NOT be in any sort of order by time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
sandog

Post by sandog »

It took me several days longer than expected to refinish the stock.
I stained, waited a full two days for the stain to dry completely, and put several coats of Linseed oil on the wood.
But after the BLO dried, all was well until I handled the stock, where I grabbed it got cloudy and dull looking.
There was something down in the pores of the wood that was not compatible with the Linseed oil.
And the medium Walnut stain I used didn't darken the wood one bit.

So I stripped it down again with Watco stripper gel, this time used a very dark Walnut stain and instead of BLO I used a spray on satin polyurethane. 3 coats of that and now the stock finish is durable.
But the stock would go no darker, it's now about the same color as when it left the factory.
Either the stain/water based finish Rossi used was not compatible with my linseed finish (and there was still some present), or perhaps my old can of linseed oil is past it's prime.
I used that same Linseed on a couple other projects this winter and it has held up fine.

Going with my old ladder sight for now, and used a lower Marbles 1/16" white bead that puts the "v" of the ladder on at 50 yards with .357 ammo. The slide had broke off the ladder and the little spring for the slide was lost, but I found replacements from Taylor and Co.
Nice that I could get this sight going again as new ones are $118.
I remembered I had this leather butt cuff and once I tried it on the R92 I knew it would stay.
It adds about 1/2" and makes the stock feel like one from a man size stock (almost).
The LOP is still a bit short but I'd rather have that than too long.
And having the sling is nice too. I tried it on the side (right side as I'm a lefty) but this carbine is so short the back of the sling was almost in my face, so I switched it to bottom mount.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Use alcohol based leather dye and you can make the wood take as much or little color you want. You can mix your own color too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.