Loading Gate and Sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
RSTOCKER53

Loading Gate and Sights

Post by RSTOCKER53 »

New Rossi 357 owner and new to this forum. Range day with new 92 yesterday. The loading gate was so stiff getting rounds to load was a workout. Some rounds would go in, Some would hang up. The action was smooth. Fired rounds ejected perfectly. First shots at 25 yards were 8 inches above the Bullseye in a tight group. After firing 30 rounds managed to get a 3 shot group just blow the Bullseye. Fired 3 rounds at 50 yards, the rounds in a 3 / 4 inch group 8 inches above the Bullseye. My hold point was the bottom of the Bullseye at both 25 and 50. The front sight post seems tall and could not get the rear sight high enough to lower the bullet strike. Shooting Federal 158grain SP. Ammo here for 357/38 SP run $45 to $48 for a 50 round box. Would appreciate any comments. May end up with a red dot or scout scope as I do not like the Buckhorn sights.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Loading Gate and Sights

Post by Gunny268 »

On both my Rossi 92(s) neither the buckhorn style nor a leaf rear sight worked at all. I eventually found that a rear peep sight works best for me. You might try a rear peep sight like those offered by Steve's Gunz or Skinner Sights. Also, a Marble Arms 57W (Mfg #105731) should be tall enough to work. It's a .570 height / .531 base width for round barrels / 1/16" gold bead front sight.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Steve's sight only works on guns OEM equipped with a safety (newer rifles) and is kind of wobbly for the price. Also likely will require file work for fitment. Skinner makes a better product but requires a D/T receiver (under the rear sight usually) only found on the newer rifles as well.

There are LOTS of sight topics here. It's the most common question. Have a look around and see what others have found.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
RSTOCKER53

Post by RSTOCKER53 »

Was looking att NATCHES for turkey sights for a vent rin and saw the Lyman peep for Marlin and Winchester. Would be super if the made one for Rossi. I've seen Steve Guns sight in pictures. It doesn't look very stable. I will look at Skinner.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

All 5 of mine shot high but the CBC guns were better. I use Bullseye rear sights and a taller fiber optic front..

The 92 action is a beast to take down. If your up for that you can get to the loading gate and cut a notch in the spring. It makes it a lot nicer to load. You can also cut 2-5 inches off of the mag tube spring.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

"The front sight post seems tall and could not get the rear sight high enough to lower the bullet strike"

am I reading this right (from the OP)?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Mashuga

Post by Mashuga »

mr surveyor wrote:"The front sight post seems tall and could not get the rear sight high enough to lower the bullet strike"

am I reading this right (from the OP)?

jd
I was wondering the same thing.

RSTOCKER53, you should move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet strike to go. If you want it to shoot lower, lower the rear sight. Front sight is just the opposite. The acronym FORS is 'front opposite, rear same".
If I misunderstood what you were saying I apologize.
RSTOCKER53

Post by RSTOCKER53 »

I did move the sight as far to the rear as possible. The bullet strike was just below the Bullseye in the 9 ring at 25 yards. The next 3 rounds I shot at 50. Impact was 8 inches above the Bullseye. Would not have expected over an 8 inch rise at 50 yards
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Peruse the web and check out a trajectory table for your cartridge and barrel length (or firearm if listed).
For most pistol cartridges you can, generally, regulate your sight setting for the following...
At 25 yds, a 6 o'clock hold on the bullseye for center target hits (assuming a 6" bullseye).
At 50 yds, a center of the bullseye hold for center target hits. Pistol cartridges have a so much more drastic trajectory when compared to rifle cartridge trajectories. Also, I've learned that commercially loaded pistol cartridges, even with a carbine length barrel, only have a some what reliable maximum effective range of around 60 to 80 yds. That is unless you load your caliber specifically for bullet and velocities at longer ranges. There are several threads on this forum that address those pursuits.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

RSTOCKER53 wrote:I did move the sight as far to the rear as possible. The bullet strike was just below the Bullseye in the 9 ring at 25 yards. The next 3 rounds I shot at 50. Impact was 8 inches above the Bullseye. Would not have expected over an 8 inch rise at 50 yards
Welcome to the site. There's a lot of good info here along with some great members....

I'm a little confused (what else is new) what do you mean by "I did move the sight as far to the rear as possible"

Do you mean you lowered it or raised it ?

Always remember the "FORS" method.... Front Opposite Rear the Same.

If your gun cycles 38/357 then the battle is almost won.
Last edited by golfish on 25 Mar 2022 19:26, edited 1 time in total.