357 magnum ammo availability

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
greenfire1960

357 magnum ammo availability

Post by greenfire1960 »

i dont know about the rest of the people on here but 357 mag ammo has all but vanished here in the the mpls/st. paul area, even my out of town sources are out? i have found some here and there but its usally cheap range ammo going fo $40 a box of 50. very glad that i stocked up over the last few months, around 1100 rounds of federal, and fiocchi . also most online ammo is going for a premium price plus shipping fees. any word on when or if this matter will get better?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 357 magnum ammo availability

Post by golfish »

greenfire1960 wrote: any word on when or if this matter will get better?
I've read that it's all about the primer shortage. I don't shoot a whole lot so I'm set on everything I need to reload for a lot of different cartridges for many years to come. I'm sure the same holds true for most of the reloaders here.

I did read yesterday that a new plant is opening in Texas that will focus on primers only. Ranchdog might be able to comment on this. I believe he's in Texas. He's probably forgotten more about reloading then I fill ever know.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I haven't seen any in a store in years but I haven't looked. A lot of us here load our own. I do know Fiocchi hollow base lead round nose is likely the worst OEM ammo in any caliber I have ever seen. We're about to have a new primer plant in far northeast Texas...close to member RBHarter I think.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

We have had a run on guns and ammo that's pretty much the worst in living memory.
The combination of the Chinese-Fauci world wide bio-attack, year plus shutdown of most industries (even the ones that didn't shut down were contact tracing and sending healthy employees home for two weeks at a time. I've even heard about some companies where the workers were gaming the system.) communists riots disguised as racial civil rights marches, the election of far leftists to control the executive branch and both houses of congress resulted in over a year and a half drought of firearms and ammunition that we're not out of yet.

The combination of increased issuing and distribution of money combined with the decreased production of raw materials and manufactured products, the increases in energy costs which translates directly into increased manufacturing and transportation costs, plus the 'supply chain disruption' has resulted in a real inflation of something like 50-100%.

The ammo manufacturers are still concentrating on standard calibers. 9mm, 5.56, .308 Win and .22LR being the major production run calibers. They are probably putting out some .45 ACP, .40 S&W and a few of the most popular hunting calibers such as .30-06, .270 Win, 7mm Mag, .300 WinMag and maybe .30-30 although I've heard complaints about getting several hunting calibers including .30-30, complaints about any and all 'new' calibers with the possible exception of 6.5 Creedmoor and complaints about .380 Auto, .32 Auto and any and all revolver calibers.

As has been mentioned, primers are unobtainium to the consumer as reloading components. Bullets are mostly back in stock, brass cases can be found although the supply tends to still surge, powders can sometimes be found but primers are still going into factory ammo production without excess.

Last evening, on a whim I asked if the local big box store had seen any .44 Mag and the lady behind the counter said she though their sister store in the next town south might have some but she though it was probably hollow points at $60/box which would put it at either $1.20 a shot to $3 per shot depending on if it was a box of 50 or a box of self defense 20. That's just insane, but there's no end to it in sight.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I was just at my LGS (non-bigbox) 45/70 Winchester 350gr was $65 a box and Remington was $59. Monday at the range I paid 28.88 for a box of 45ACP, new not remans.

With the current environment I don't think it ends soon.

Make smoke if you haven 'em,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
greenfire1960

Post by greenfire1960 »

between the crazy prices and the lack of supply i dont see it getting better either :(
greenfire1960

Post by greenfire1960 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I haven't seen any in a store in years but I haven't looked. A lot of us here load our own. I do know Fiocchi hollow base lead round nose is likely the worst OEM ammo in any caliber I have ever seen. We're about to have a new primer plant in far northeast Texas...close to member RBHarter I think.
i havn't had any experince with fiocchi hollow points, but their 142gr fmj truncated cone rounds have worked well in my 357 revolver and cycle good in the rossi. and fouling has been minimal. their 9mm round fmj rounds have also shot good in my canik with no issues.
greenfire1960

Post by greenfire1960 »

i am by know means a wine, beer, whiskey, or bullet snob! lol :lol: if the ammo i am shooting loads, fires, hits it's mark, and isnt overly dirty, i will shoot it for target, plinking, and even home or personal protection. but, when hunting i do tend to stick with ammo of the likes as hornaday lever evolution for my 30-30, i have had good results with that, and i have herd that they make a good balistic tiped 357 handgun round that should work for the rossi while deer hunting.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Crazy as this sounds, the wife has an ammo buddy in Texas who's been importing primers from Argentina. Got 4,000 small pistol for $160. Been temporarily halted in working up my 357 loads due to weather. But so far, the powder charges have stayed on track with the data velocities I've recorded using Winchester small pistol primers. Weather is supposed to get up into the 50s in a couple of days. Then I can then get back out on the range and find that sweet spot.
greenfire1960

Post by greenfire1960 »

sounds like fun, its 10 above and snowing now, cant wait till i can shoot outdoors again! lol