Original Oxpho-Blue Instructions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Original Oxpho-Blue Instructions

Post by Gunny268 »

I use "Precision Brand" tool black. I can get it at a metal sales and machine tool distributor located here in Conway Arkansas for about $46.95 a bottle.
Tool Black (2).jpg
My method is pretty simple. Use 220 grit (wet/dry) till the part's surfaces are cleaned and smooth. Then use 400 grit (wet/dry) to those areas I want to really shine. Hose it off with a non-chlorinated brake or carb cleaner. Grip the part with some kind of a clamp and give it a good wash with acetone. Still using the clamp to hold the part, I use an old hair drier to heat it up - as hot as I can get it with a hair drier. Then swab with tool black using a Q-tip or felt makeup wedge thingy. Keeping it as wet as I can for about 30 seconds/or until the color looks decent. Neutralize the solution on the part with distilled water (no chlorine). Blow dry with compressed air. Lightly oil it (usually wipe it down with an oily rag) and evaluate the color. If not dark enough, repeat the hose it off - wash it with acetone - heat it - reapply tool black - neutralize solution - dry it - oil it - reevaluate the color.
I did the Grip Safety and Ed Brown Mainspring Housing on my Springfield Armory 1911 five years ago and it has held up pretty darn well.
1911 Grip Frame.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Original Oxpho-Blue Instructions

Post by Sarge »

That is excellent durability Gunny. Thank you for the info.