R92 .357 chamber question

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Dad45

R92 .357 chamber question

Post by Dad45 »

First I have 3 R92’s 1 older 45, 1 newer .44 and after wanting I finally picked up a stainless 20” .357 and my question concerns the .357, the question is this is it normal for these to have the bottom of the chambers to be kind of ramped? It almost looks like the forcing cone on a revolver but just the bottom half and is approx 1/4 to 3/8” deep. The problem is it deforms the brass to the point they are unusable, also it seems lower end charges are not as bad. In comparison the 44 just has the entrance to the chamber a tad rounded or beveled and that’s it. Or could this be more of a brass issue?
Other than that the gun shoots just fine, ejects fine. If I was going to stick to lower end loads it probably would be fine but I do want to hunt with it.
By the way I have run different factory and hand loads with similar results
I am going to send it in for service and assume it will get re barreled
Again just curious if this has been a known issue or if I just got an isolated case

I do really like the 92 design and have gotten lots of enjoyment from the other 2 I own
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: R92 .357 chamber question

Post by Reese-Mo »

Dad45

Post by Dad45 »

Thanks Reese-Mo for the link as I read it it seems to be more directed at cut notches which is different from my situation which looks similar to a forcing cone on a revolver. I tried to post a pic of the spent brass which would best explain the problem but the software says my file size from my cell phone pic is to large and I don’t use hosting sites
Thanks again for trying
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Dad45 wrote:First I have 3 R92’s 1 older 45, 1 newer .44 and after wanting I finally picked up a stainless 20” .357 and my question concerns the .357, the question is this is it normal for these to have the bottom of the chambers to be kind of ramped? It almost looks like the forcing cone on a revolver but just the bottom half and is approx 1/4 to 3/8” deep. The problem is it deforms the brass to the point they are unusable, also it seems lower end charges are not as bad. In comparison the 44 just has the entrance to the chamber a tad rounded or beveled and that’s it. Or could this be more of a brass issue?
Other than that the gun shoots just fine, ejects fine. If I was going to stick to lower end loads it probably would be fine but I do want to hunt with it.
By the way I have run different factory and hand loads with similar results
I am going to send it in for service and assume it will get re barreled
Again just curious if this has been a known issue or if I just got an isolated case

I do really like the 92 design and have gotten lots of enjoyment from the other 2 I own
Unfortunately this has been a common problem, particularly with the .357 92s. I've never sent anything back to Rossi and frankly hope I never have to do so. The tales on the list lean toward not the desired results after significant time the rifles have come back with "nothing found" as a reply and the problem clearly still present. Best of luck.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

There have been some complaints that some of the Rossi barrels have been excessively 'feed ramped'.
In some cases this has been observed when a R92 has been returned for servicing with a complaint regarding feeding. In others the rifle out of the box has been observed to allow the 'pregnant brass' syndrome on ejected brass most often observed from the 'unsupported' Glock barrels. There have also been some owners who have tried to fix feeding issues through ramping the barrel themselves so if the firearm was acquired used there's no guarantee it wasn't modified by a previous user or someone they had given it to as a gunsmith to fix who decided to dremel a feedramp into it.

This is a most undesirable 'feature' of some of these rifles IMO. While it may make feeding somewhat easier and it might be perfectly safe for factory ammunition or virgin brass reloads it makes reloading the brass questionable at best. One of my three rifles may be showing a very mild version of this and I need to get it out to the range with some warmish loads to verify that does or does not have this problem.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

There's a picture in the thread I linked to. Thought that might help
Dad45

Post by Dad45 »

Thanks I’m going to look further when I get home and can review that on my computer screen rather than the cell phone
Dad45

Post by Dad45 »

A little update kind of, I stopped at a shop today that has four 357 triple black and two in 44 on the shelf and looked at all them and out of the 4 in 357 three of them displayed the same characteristics as mine and one looked like I think it should and both 44’s looked ok as well.
When I get some time hopefully later in the week I will go about getting it sent in for inspection and hopefully repairs, I assume this will take plenty of time but but it’s that or stick with very mild ammo and I do really like the darn thing. If I can figure out how to get some pics with file sizes that can be posted I will do that
Such is life
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I would start by trying to get it replaced from the beginning. We have heard stories of them keeping riffles for months and sending them back as no issue found OR keeping them for a year without result.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Dad45

Post by Dad45 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I would start by trying to get it replaced from the beginning. We have heard stories of them keeping riffles for months and sending them back as no issue found OR keeping them for a year without result.
Thanks for the info I will try that