SADDLE RING PROBLEM SOLVED..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

Re: SADDLE RING PROBLEM SOLVED..

Post by ManxTom »

Archer wrote:Since someone slathered loctite over a number of the screws and such I recommend you be on the lookout for that hammer screw becoming loose as the action is worked over time. In fact I might run the action manually dropping the hammer a thousand cycles just to see if the torque alone would keep the screw in place.

My reasoning is that there's roughly three reasons to slather loctite on a part. One, that the person in question just does it by habit with EVERYTHING. TWO, that there was some problem with the part that the owner/user thought could be fixed by gluing it in place. THREE, because there were some sort of directions or process that was being followed that recommended that the part be secured in that way. I haven't seen the third possibility with respect to a hammer screw in any of the lever actions so that leaves the first two possibilities and if it was the habit of the previous owner there's no real concern but if it was trying to fix a problem then that problem may reappear.
I respect what you say but, after consideration, I'd hazard a guess that, of the 'three reasons', it has to be the first. Why? well I also found residue under the original semi-buckhorn sights when in the process of swapping them out for the ladder sight..!!

You nay well be correct with your thinking that the previous owner slapped Locktite on every damn thing.

As for the hammer screw, well there was, in my book, enough felt resistance when replacing it with the saddle ring. It didn't just 'spin in', it was a snug, but not a binding fit.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: SADDLE RING PROBLEM SOLVED..

Post by Reese-Mo »

The hammer pin/screw on my R92 is a snug fit. It had some locker on it when new. I didn't replace the locking compound when I disassembled things. On my Uberti Peacemakers, there was a bit of thread locker, and the hammer pivot does get loose on those. Keeping after things, making sure everything is tight, seems to be the order of the day with certain firearms.

But on the other hand, there are folks who slather locktite on every damn thing from hot dogs to tampons, and think they're better off because of it.