'92 Barrel Cleaning..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: '92 Barrel Cleaning..

Post by Archer »

It ain't threaded, just sloppy machining and/or final polish passes in the interior is off by just enough that it colors a mite different as it ages/wears. Figure a 1/4 thou or less maybe.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I typically use Hoppe's #9 as it's cheap and usually available. I've seen the benchrest but not done much with it. I think I've got 3 of the old glass bottles that I recharge from a quart bottle from time to time.

The old formula for Hoppe's included 1,1,1-trichloroethane IF I recall correctly from my college days. This was once widely used as a solvent for metals and sometimes as a catalyst in chemical reactions. In the aerospace industry slightly before my time it was more or less unregulated and used in 55 gallon drum lots. Some of the older guys when I started as an engineer related having practically bathed in it to get rid of other crap they'd come into contact with during their shift.

The chemical has been virtually banned as a hazard to the ozone layer. I say virtually because there has not AFAIK been a good replacement for the catalyst properties as used in composites, polymers and coatings. There has also been a lot more focus on personal protection and possible organ damage from heavy exposure. I was under the impression that there might be a carcinogen angle as well but I did not find that warning when I looked it up a moment ago.

1-1-1 has a sweet smell and that might be what you recall from the older formula although I've always sort of assumed there was a kerosene base/smell.

As for CLP, I've not used it too much. LPX was advertised as an improved version which I used for a while but found just about as unsatisfactory. It seems to be too thin, not persistent enough and not slippery enough to really use as a lube and doesn't seem to penetrate and either mix with the dirt enough or cut the greasy residue enough to work to well as a solvent.

I have come to like the Slip 2000 EWL for lube.
I still find Hoppe's to be a pretty good solvent that can be left wet in the bore overnight without worrying that it will cause harm and will still dissolve copper. That last point being one of the reasons I don't tend to want to get it anywhere near nickel plated firearms and certainly don't allow it to soak on them. (I started out using the old Outer's Nitro solvent and while it worked it didn't do much vs. copper or lead as I recall.)

Specialty chemicals and more harsh solvents including Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter, various copper solvents, Sweet's 7.62 or Shooter's Choice Lead Remover are items I find do a good specific job but that I don't allow to sit in the bore for more than a few minutes and generally won't allow them on anodized finishes.

I've used MPro7 from time to time and Slip 2000 degreaser. They don't smell and the MPro7 is billed as water soluble and environmentally friendly. They both work ok and are good in a sonic cleaner but once you use them you need to put a layer of lube on the metal pretty quickly.

I bought a bulk pack of the GI nylon 'tooth' brushes one time as they were a heck of a lot cheaper by the dozen than in ones and twos. I don't use them a lot but when you need one you need it.

The nylon brushes were recommended at some point and I found they didn't work too well for me the way I'd been using brass/bronze ones. They just don't scrub the carbon/lead/copper out. They do work as an agitator under a wet patch though and keep it spread into the barrel grooves and they don't get eaten up by the solvent. I find I prefer a jag for the same purpose and a set of them from Tipton through Midway covers a multitude of barrel sizes and patch thicknesses and lasts decades.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Oh I know "trichlor" well too. Used it in circuit board manufacture and rework. I dunno if Hoppe's ever had that. As I recall, I sprayed some trichlor onto gun crud and it didn't really touch it all that well. Maybe it was the fast evaporation, dunno. A quick look seems to indicate its available from $30/gal up to about $90/gal for "high purity", and lab grade for over two grand a gallon.

Jeeze, look at the MSDS for Hoppes. Kersosene, ethanol, propan-2-ol (a fancy way of saying isopropyl alcohol), then a whole littany of "proprietary" and some citronellol for "fragrance"! If that's what Hoppe's smell's like, I'll take a pint of citronellol just to spread about the abode to occasionally get back at the GF!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

CA is the only state with it's own pre-EPA EPA and as a result is (or was) somewhat grandfathered as to what it can get away with compared to other states.

About 10-12 years ago 1-1-1 started getting real hard to find. Then it turned out that a lot of stuff that used it didn't have a substitute or the substitutes didn't work worth a hoot. We started to find it back on the shelves again. Note this was for industry use and even the chemical suppliers were telling us for a while they didn't know what they were going to do.

Some of the stupidity is getting fierce. Banning Methanol? REALLY? The WHYs of that simply don't add up.

They've also banned windshield cleaner here in CA that'll stay liquid at less than 32 degrees. Something about the runoff killing dolphins? I have a hard time believing that's the case but you get blue or green water unless it is near freezing and then you have to add your own antifreeze to the mix whether it's alcohol or the commercial stuff at ten times the price.

I've been way beyond the concept of banning stuff because some idiot might hurt themselves. Back when McCain got pseudoephedrine banned because idiots were making meth out of it I pretty much had enough.
IF our education system is so ineffective that it doesn't explain why drinking wood alcohol is a bad idea why don't we FIX that instead of banning wood alcohol?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

As I recall the "original" Hoppes had benzene in it. Since benzene can cause irreversible aplastic anemia it was remove from the mix and benzene has been almost totally banned.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:As I recall the "original" Hoppes had benzene in it. Since benzene can cause irreversible aplastic anemia it was remove from the mix and benzene has been almost totally banned.

Make smoke,
Hoppe's has been around a mighty long time.

Apparently you are correct regarding the pre WWII formula which in addition to benzene is also reported to have included Sperm Whale Oil. I ran across one claim that the last legal sperm whale oil in the U.S. was sold sometime in the 1970s and was banned in 1973.

So we know the formula was likely to have changed prior to 1973 to replace the whale oil.

By 1948 according to Wiki the American Petroleum Institute stated "it is generally considered that the only absolutely safe concentration for benzene is zero".

Benzene compounds were the subject of sever cautions in my high school chemistry classes in the early 80s. In particular benzene was noted because of the local textile industry use creating possible contact and also potential ground water contamination. In particular the fact that benzene passes through the skin or mucus membranes easily was noted. Contact hazards up to long term health effects like cancer and immediate death were emphasized. One would hope the benzene was removed from Hoppe's prior to the 1980s but given that it was found to have formed by accident in soft drinks in the mid 2000s who knows.

I thought we found a reference to 1-1-1 on the bottle or package back in the 1980s. I don't see any reference to any of the components other than 'petroleum distillates' or 'kerosene' on any of the containers I have. The SDS is pretty detailed at only 20 pages. https://www.hoppes.com/on/demandware.st ... 2e5830.pdf
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Nice! Different sheet than what I saw earlier. After reading thru that, my only thought is... I wonder how it mixes with bourbon?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A few years ago we were downloading MSDS sheets for everything the small company I worked at was working with.
A few short years ago all that stuff was replaced with SDS sheets so the government regulatory agencies could justify their existence again and create a new requirement to comply with or be fined for.
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

What is this "cleaning" you speak of..??

:lol:

I have to admit my lever guns and rimfires very seldom get cleaned, just a wipe around the action once in a while to keep them functioning...

My Marlin and 10/22 (competition guns) used to get a good clean once a year. I'd then visit the range to lead them up again and make sure they worked OK before the annual big competion... I've now pretty much given up competing, so they don't even get that annual clean now..

Also, I am a fair-weather range shooter, so they never get wet or dirty on the outside...