My evolving truck gun project

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
UTShooter71

My evolving truck gun project

Post by UTShooter71 »

Well it has been a good while since I had done anything with my rifle (.357/round 20"). I thought I was done with it after I put a Dr. Pearson no-drill rail and scout scope on it. But then deer season is back and I decided to check my accuracy with both the rail sight and scope.

I found the rear notch sight difficult to use. The scope was spot on with the QD mounts. I also realized I didn't like the way the rail mounts to the rifle. I've gone back to the Skinner Sights rail and an XS Sights rear peep mounted at the far end of the rail. I've also ordered a Skinner taller front sight blade to see if this will allow the use of this combination. I think someone on this forum has already done this and am using them as a foundation for this project. With the old/stock front sight I was shooting high. If this does work, I will go back to a red dot or find a mount tall enough for the scout scope to clear the XS peep sight.
UTShooter71

Re: My evolving truck gun project

Post by UTShooter71 »

The skinner sight arrived. New issues (maybe). The stock front sight may have been loose as a very soft whack using a plastic mallet and brass punch took it out of the dove tail. The Skinner sight seated easily but appears to be loose as well. To that end I removed it, added blue lock tight and re-installed. I had read on other sights that red or green(?) is used but in my limited experience red is too strong and I have never used green. If this does not work then I will sight in and stake the front sight. It does appear to be a functional combination. As soon as I can get to a range I will report back. Still looking for a see through scope mount for the scout scope but a red dot may be my go-to. Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I wouldn't use loctite but that's just me.
You can buy some shim stock or use small pieces from the side of a beer/soda can as shims
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looking for a sight-thru scope mount, you say? It will take either money or patience, but there’s an old Weaver mount that might make you happy:

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... =Picatinny
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

red bull can is about right...LOL
the one I wedged under my 44's front sight has held up for 15 years now, but I did give the edges of the dovetail a couple of good smacks with a punch and hammer too.

I got nuthin on the sights, but I know a lot of serious handgun guys that swear by a good red-dot sight.
UTShooter71

Post by UTShooter71 »

Another update. This has worked. I'm throwing rounds about 1-1\2" high at 25 yards but I can work with the that. The combination of the Skinner rail and taller front sight, with the XS peep has given me solid, easily adjustable sights. I was also able to put my NcStar 2-7x39 scout scope on QD see through rings. Now that I have it rough zeroed I can work on getting it fine dialed in at 50.

One of the only other thing I will do, will be to mount a light. If someone knows a way that is solid and doesn't require a new hand guard? Please let me know.

Thank you
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Beamshot RF9 with a 1/4 inch thick rubber shim on the magazine tube. That gives you a short Picatinny rail section.

For just a flashlight, a cheap Chinese barrel clamp like this will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273376125061

I used a couple layers of heat shrink tubing to shim my AA battery flashlight.

When do we get pictures?
UTShooter71

Post by UTShooter71 »

UTShooter71

Post by UTShooter71 »

This site needs an easier way to add pictures. :(
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's the same as all sites only the controls look slightly different. You tried to link a thumbnail stored in a Google Drive that is password protected. You can either upload an image to be hosted here or host your image elsewhere and use the URL as a pointer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.