R92 WITH TAURUS SAFETY SYSTEM..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: R92 WITH TAURUS SAFETY SYSTEM..

Post by golfish »

ManxTom wrote:
golfish wrote:Hey Tom, if you decide that you need one, let me know. I'm sure I've got a couple some where.
Very generous of you to offer, might be a good idea to have one, if only to be able to pass it on when the Great Gunsmith takes it from my cold, dead hand..

I'll PM you with my address.

Cheers.
Okay, I'll dig through my boxes and see if I can find one.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:I would just about bet a 2.5mm security Hex/Allen bit would work just fine. (If not a 3/32" should fit.)

I don't think any of my gunsmith sets has the security hex bits in them but I know I've got a large Craftsman set that does and a couple ChinaMart sets that if they aren't drilled too far off center should work.
I don't think that I could drill a hole like that if I tried 100x. My old Carftsman drill Press would lol at me :)

Hey Tom, I found one for ya. I don't know why but they're lefty threads.
I'll get it out to ya when I can get off my lazy butt.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have to be honest, I just about HATE tiny little fasteners including Allen fasteners and drivers/keys, also Phillips, sometimes torx and especially offset cruciform.

For some reason several bicycle related fasteners and parts are 2mm or the like fasteners. Things like Crank Brother's pedal traction plates or various manufacturer pedal traction pins (DMR for example). Then the morons try to save a little weight by making the heads low profile and the hex opening shallow leading to the fastener recess stripping out. Let's use the most tiny screws possible threaded into aluminum threads on a expensive part that gets dunked into puddles, and mud and having mud rocks and gravel off your shoes ground into them under your full weight plus g forces as you ride your mountain bike down the trail.

With firearms who decided on #6 fasteners for sight bases? even #8s are pretty darned small. Some of the premium AR safety levers are held together by tiny little Allen bolts, Set screw gas blocks don't seem to use quite as delicate fasteners but they are still small. Ditto some scope mounts, rings etc.. Lucky some of the tacticool rings are using 1/2" wrenching features. Anybody set up a Timney trigger in an AR two tiny 1.5mm grub screws to load the trigger against the inside bottom of the receiver and the trigger pin and then a second set of the same size used to jam the first set and prevent their backing out under recoil impulse.

In aerospace the offset cruciforms are used a LOT. Even when they are decent sized they tend to want to strip as you attempt to remove them.

And why haven't we figured out that a stainless screw installed into a set of stainless threads almost always wants to cold weld itself together!
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

golfish wrote:
Absolutely no rush whatsoever. All it has to do is get past ITAR, US Customs, GB Customs and it's home free..!! There could be questions raised in the UN..!! And I bet it's got Rossi or Taurus or Braztech printed on it somewhere.. +guns
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

if the torx key is anywhere close to good, it can't be drilled. Too hard. You could wire EDM it... but jeeze, Harbor Freight has 'em
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

golfish wrote:
Archer wrote:I would just about bet a 2.5mm security Hex/Allen bit would work just fine. (If not a 3/32" should fit.)

I don't think any of my gunsmith sets has the security hex bits in them but I know I've got a large Craftsman set that does and a couple ChinaMart sets that if they aren't drilled too far off center should work.
I don't think that I could drill a hole like that if I tried 100x. My old Carftsman drill Press would lol at me :)

Reese-Mo wrote:if the torx key is anywhere close to good, it can't be drilled. Too hard. You could wire EDM it... but jeeze, Harbor Freight has 'em
?? I was talking about bits that already had the hole, not trying to fabricate one on your own.

Left Hand Threads? (of course one of your bicycle pedals has LH threads to keep it from turning off the bike as you ride but I'm a mite confused otherwise where that reference comes in.)

As Reese-Mo mentions security Torx (or security Allen/Hex) drivers are pretty easy to find via: McMaster Carr, Harbor Freight (ChinaMart, often drilled offcenter), Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon or a couple dozen other places. Much easier for someone else to drill them during manufacturing when they are raw stock before they get heat treated.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ah.... now I got it!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

ManxTom wrote:
golfish wrote:
Absolutely no rush whatsoever. All it has to do is get past ITAR, US Customs, GB Customs and it's home free..!! There could be questions raised in the UN..!! And I bet it's got Rossi or Taurus or Braztech printed on it somewhere.. +guns
The two I found that came with one of my rifles were a very nice regular hex section, sharp edged and seemed hardened, with a very centered hole in the middle that was embedded into a plastic with the Taurus name and bull emblem embossed on it.
None of the rounded driver edges and off center holes you get with Chinese manufactured 'tools'.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a set of sizes 8-70 from Tool Warehouse. I'm sure my 80-some odd piece Wheeler bit set has one too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have a set of sizes 8-70 from Tool Warehouse. I'm sure my 80-some odd piece Wheeler bit set has one too.
To clarify, the Rossi lock on my 92s is a HEX or ALLEN that the KEY measures .098" flat to flat and the LOCK has the raised pin in the center commonly referred to as 'security' or 'tamper proof'. It is NOT a Torx recess although Security Torx fasteners and drivers/bits are somewhat more common than the Security Hex variety. To turn the lock requires a corresponding HEX drive tool with a HOLE in the center of the drive feature. .098" is 2.4892mm so it is just possible that a 2.5mm hex drive with a hole in the center might work. A Torx driver or a security Torx driver should not be attempted.

I have the large Wheeler bit set including the expansion bits. It does not include any security bits whatsoever. I also own a couple of the Wheeler 20-odd bit sets that I use as portable sets for the range, etc. they also do not include any security bits.
Wheeler 89 piece set: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007363134?pid=439523
(Same as the 72 piece set PLUS the 17 Piece 'Gunsmith Upgrade':
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007359293?pid=223597
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007370112?pid=916241 )
Expansion set (metric hex, Torx, socket adapter): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016339938?pid=219256

28 piece set: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007360766?pid=297593

Wheeler does sell a 50-odd bit set that includes some security Torx bits and duplicative standard Torx bits but I do not believe they currently sell any set or loose bits that qualify as 'security hex'.

55 piece set: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022409671?pid=186028

I own a rather inexpensive Harbor Freight 1/4" hex drive security bit set that includes the security Hex and Torx bits:
https://www.harborfreight.com/security- ... 68459.html
NOTE THIS BIT SET HAS THE 2.5mm, 3/32" and 7/64" sizes!

I also own a rather extensive small drive set that was sold under the Craftsman logo a few years ago as one of their Holiday promotionals. It contains 190 1" long hex bits that include common jobber phillips, square, flat, torx, hex, small tri-wing, small two point spanner, small offset cruciform, security Torx, security hex and a tiny number of splined bits. It has 50 2" long bits, a small selection of 3 types of drill bits, nut drivers, drill stop collars, L shaped Allen keys and a magnetic 1/4" hex holder. (I did NOT pay what these clowns are asking for the kit but if I could sell it for that I should have bought a couple dozen of them.) The case stinks as it is a couple vinyl stickers on the sides that say Craftsman and they are peeling up
Note this bit set includes the 3/32" size that is .09375" and the 7/64" size = .109375 as well as the 2.5mm size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393252967902?c ... 6dbadf90fa

Here's a more reasonably priced advert, but I think it was from when they were being sold a few years ago: https://craftsman.drill-bits.org/brand- ... e-bit.html
I think I paid $20-$25.

Then there are the Craftsman bit sockets. I am certain I have the 'tamper proof' Torx (T-7 to T-55) but I am not at all certain that they ever put out the corresponding 'tamper proof' Hex bit sockets and expect they would not have gone down to .098" in any event even in the 1/4" square drive. (At least one of those sets even included 'external Torx drive sockets' something I haven't seen on anything but figure some foreign auto manufacturer must have tried at least once.)

Craftsman 12pc Tamper Proof Torx bit socket set:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Craftsman-12 ... 2170924121

Most of the bit socket sets I picked up over the years aren't available the way I got them. They are selling a lot of them in blow molded cases now. They started that about the time Sears was going under, probably after Craftsman was sold to Stanley and it seems they are expanding it. I'll admit that unless they are oddball sizes I'm more partial to a socket rack that fits in the toolbox much more compactly but still keeps things organized. There used to be several 'sets' most of which overlapped a lot but when they were on sale it could almost be less expensive to buy multiple sets than to try and get a large set and then the few pieces that weren't included in the set.

Edited to add the Wheeler/Midway links and a few additional Craftsman comments/link.
NOTE: The links are for illustrative purposes only. NONE of the links have been checked to and should not be taken as a recommendation of a particular vendor or price point. SHOP AROUND and compare prices!
Last edited by Archer on 26 Oct 2021 19:27, edited 2 times in total.