Drifting sights..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

Drifting sights..

Post by ManxTom »

Please refresh an old man's memory regarding drifting sights for windage. Is it best to leave the rear semi-buckhorn alone and drift the front sight? As you can see shooting from rested (no bag, just elbows) it was shooting to the left. Doesn't need to come across much though.. I can't damn well remember which way to drift it..???? :roll:
R92 target small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Drifting sights..

Post by Sarge »

Move the rear sight in the direction you want your group to go.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

That's what I thought.. now I just have to remember where I put my brass punches..
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I'd like to hear how that goes, and if you will, or did remove the fore-end to hold the barrel in a vice while adjusting
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Mnemonic that I learned on this forum: FORS - Front Opposite, Rear Same

I always drift the rear sight, unless I can’t.

Vice, shmice. This is done at the shooting bench. Lay ‘er on ‘er side and tap/whack as required. The other valuable tool is a Sharpie to mark your starting point.

Wait, what the hell do you care? You’re waiting for a ladder sight.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

HarryAlonzo wrote:. . . This is done at the shooting bench. Lay ‘er on ‘er side and tap/whack as required. The other valuable tool is a Sharpie to mark your starting point.
Marking the starting point is critical. I carefully align a piece of masking tape on which I've drawn a clear line with the front of the rear sight. A sharp pencil will make a line about .01" thick. This is an important point of reference because you're going to move the sight in much smaller increments than you'd expect.

The sight radius on my 20" R92 is 16.5". Referring to the Marble's chart you'll note that using the 18" column (for the sake of rounding) moving the sight .005" changes the point of impact 1" at 100 yards. This means that a movement of .01" will move the point of impact 1" at 50 yards, which is my realistic limit for sighting in with the R92 sights. (I'm 78.)

In other words, each width of the pencil line will move the POI 1" at 50 yards. This works well for me.
sight-adjust-w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Wow it's a good thing Tom didn't ask about something complicated like changing a light bulb.

You need a hammer, drift punch, rifle, steady shooting position and a handful of bullets.

Shoot. Tap rear sight in the direction you want holes to go. Shoot again. Stop when holes are in center of target.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

I found a little helpful addition to my sights. There is a tiny punch mark right in the centre of the top flat of the barrel, right in front of the sight plate. I have a photo but it wont let me load it..!!!

So, using the above mark as a reference point, I have tapped it across to the right, just about a pencil line's worth. If I have it right it should bring my shots across to, more or less, where I want them. It's really a moot point as I have a set of Skinners ladder sights ordered so I'll be changing them out anyway. But of course that little punch mark will give me a point of reference for fitting the ladder sights too..

Just ordered a leather lever wrap from Hellhound Leather. Nice people to deal with. :) :)
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Re my previous post regarding a 'punch mark' on the barrel in front of the rear sight.. here's a photo.. I measured, with digital callipers, the width across the barrel and this little mark is dead centre, perfectly placed for any future adjustments.
sight 1a.jpg