FIRST RANGE TRIP TODAY

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

FIRST RANGE TRIP TODAY

Post by ManxTom »

Well we were at the range bright and early this morning. An excellent day for shooting as it was overcast, little or no wind to speak of, and dry (Note: my club range is up at around 1500 feet and it's often impossible to see 25m let alone shoot 25m..)

So the R92 performed way above my expectations. Way above. Trigger broke crisp and clean, no issues with chambering or ejection, loading gate was slightly stiff but it appears the previous owner must have removed the well documented sharp edges.

No adjustment for elevation was needed on the rear sight but it will need drifting slightly to the right as most of my shots, taken slowly and off the bench, we left of the target.

The club had a supply of Magtech Cowboy Action 158g ammo so I got a box of that. It performed well, comfortable to shoot, I'd taken off my coat so I was just shooting in a polo shirt, minimal recoil - I think the 20" octagonal barrel soaked up most of the recoil. This damn rifle doesn't move around at all, unless you want it to.

I was tempted to get another box of 50 rounds but chose not to as the very large grin on my face was affecting my aim..!!

To end my morning I single loaded some 158g Finocchi round nosed .38's I had with my for my revolver. That was like shooting a .22..!!

I am very impressed with this R92. It's clearly obvious to me that the previous owner took good care and looked after it, and didn't shooting too much. Now all I have to do is give it the good clean it deserves.

My humble thanks goes out to all forum members who took time to offer advice, suggestions and impart their wisdom.. and humour. Thank you chaps.

Here's my first target. Some 30+ shots. My very first shot is the one right on the edge of the orange centre spot.
R92 target small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: FIRST RANGE TRIP TODAY

Post by Reese-Mo »

You killed that target.

However, there are places in the United States where shooting a lever action rifle while wearing a polo shirt goes against the grain of all established mores....
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Indeed.. so a poncho and Levi's shirt next time then..
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

even the polo shirt would be o.k. ... if was camo colored (the favorite color of most of my running buddies)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

ManxTom wrote:Indeed.. so a poncho and Levi's shirt next time then..
Ponchos are reserved for six gun toting no name cigar smoking desperados who answer to "hey Blondie".
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Well I wouldn't be offended at being called Blondie except that I'd need a lot more hair than I currently have for that to happen..:-)
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Well done Tom.... you have a good there
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

golfish wrote:Well done Tom.... you have a good there
Indeed I think I have. I certainly wont be getting rid of this one like I did the Winchester..!! And I actually think this R92 is better than the Winchester..!!

BTW I was shooting Magtech which just happens to be owned under CBC the parent company that own Taurus, Rossi And Heritage Manufacturing.. as well as Seller & Bellot ammunition which I shoot through my 9mm Ruger SR1911.. Talk about keeping it in the family..!! +guns :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have often worn a golf shirt at the range as I sometimes manage to stop off there after work for an hour or so on the way home from the office.

Since the snowflakes have taken over and I can't seem to get cotton shirts anymore I wound up picking up a half dozen button up synthetic 'cool fabric' shirts.