GOT IT.. AT LAST..!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

GOT IT.. AT LAST..!!

Post by ManxTom »

Picked up my R92 about an hour ago. Excellent condition, bore is extremely clear and clean, woodwork has only a couple of very small dings in the fore-end, action is crisp and snap caps sailed 8 feet across the room when I ejected them. Love the octagonal barrel, crowning appears to be in very good condition too. Interestingly the fore-end has a cap on it. I haven't been able to find any other example of a 20" octagonal barrelled .357 / .38 with the end cap. Not complaining, it makes it look 'complete'. Very clear "Made in Brazil by Taurus" on the rear right of the barrel.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: GOT IT.. AT LAST..!!

Post by golfish »

ManxTom wrote:Picked up my R92 about an hour ago. Excellent condition, bore is extremely clear and clean, woodwork has only a couple of very small dings in the fore-end, action is crisp and snap caps sailed 8 feet across the room when I ejected them. Love the octagonal barrel, crowning appears to be in very good condition too. Interestingly the fore-end has a cap on it. I haven't been able to find any other example of a 20" octagonal barrelled .357 / .38 with the end cap. Not complaining, it makes it look 'complete'. Very clear "Made in Brazil by Taurus" on the rear right of the barrel.
Well, shoot!! It's about time. You know you have to post up some pictures, right?

Congrats, Your going to love it ..

I have never seen a Rossi 20" Oct barrel with a band, they all have the end cap along with the cresent butt plate.
I'd like to see some of the Rossi 92s with octogone barrel and barrel band. Do you maybe have a link to one or two.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

No links I'm afraid, the ad for one I got has been deleted. Bear with me coz I'm a total numpty when it comes to computers and photos - all mine appear to big to post (I did try).

Next thing I want to sort is a set of ladder sights. The semi-buckhorn that are on it are ok, for now, but I do think the latter sights will look cool on it. Curiously I had to wipe a load of grease off the sight base/elevator. Looking at them I'd be surprised if the have ever been adjusted..!!
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Do you see any grease in the action?

If you'd like, you can send me the pictures and I'll try and post em for ya..
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Just sent you six.. thanks for the offer.

As for grease, no. The action was lightly oiled and very clean. One thing I did notice was the shell lifter was still matt black. Now I remember from having a Winchester 94AE, the shell lifer was one of the first things to loose its colour. All in all I'm extremely happy with this rifle. I got a damn good deal.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Very nice. Looks like a good one to me

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Congrats.
I haven't seen an octagonal Rossi without the fore end cap regardless of caliber or barrel length. Not saying they don't exist but I haven't run into one.

I just pulled a bunch of levers out of the home defense locker to refresh my memory.
I own 3 Rossi 92s one SS round barrel 20" 44Mag, one SS octagonal 24" 44 Mag and one 20" blued .357 round barrel. All three have black lifters. None of the lifters show much if any finish wear.

I own 4 post 64 centerfire Winchester 94s including a 24" .44 Legacy angle eject, a .30-30 XTR (angle eject ~1982) and two pre XTRs from ~1972 and ~1978/80. ALL of them have silver colored lifters. I bought the 44 and the ~1978 new in box and they were always silver. The .30-30 XTR was purchased from someone I'm convinced never shot it. IF he had the scope on it would have put his eye out when it departed the rifle. The 1972 was bought by a gent who may have hunted with it a time or two but when his daughter sold it to me after his death it was in near perfect condition and the action is still stiff and tight. The lifters on these guns were silver from the factory.

My Winchester 9422M does have a dark lifter. But it's a rimfire and the part appears to be a simple chunk of sheet metal without any further contouring.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

It could be a US / Europe thing, but the Winchester 94 AE I had came from Belgium, complete with Belgian proof marks (alongside the GB proof marks), I only ever saw one other 94AE and that, like mine was of Belgian origin and, like mine, the shell lifter was black.
It appears there are so many vagaries in types, models, manufacturing locations etc., you could go mad trying to make sense of it all.
Like I am not going to even try to get any info on my rifle's serial number. I'd like to retain what little sanity I have left..!!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Depending on date of manufacture it may be that once FN took over Winchester firearm production and farmed them out to the Japanese like they do Browning that the lifters may have been blued. My Japanese 1886 has a blued lifting mechanism.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I'm looking forward to a range report.