Center bore to sight line ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Center bore to sight line ?

Post by Archer »

I don't much use verniers, at least some of the ones I've used over the years often seem to be subjective as to which line is almost lined up. I guess IF I used them often enough I'd get used to them enough to get them right without the fiddle factor. On the other hand outside of wearing the jaws out there's no additional complexity to go wrong.

I've seen digital calipers come back from the calibration lab labeled "Not for precision measurements! (ok for engineering use.)"
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Center bore to sight line ?

Post by Reese-Mo »

I have a set of vernier calipers by Mitutoyo that they called their "Diamond Master" series. Its 6" .001 and 1/128 scales. What makes it so nice, is that there is no parallax, which as you noted, is the bugbear of verier calipers. They got around that by making the beam a hex shape, so it has two wide flats, and then diamond point shapes that fit into the frame. This allowed them to make the beam and frame completely flat so that scales do not sit one raised higher than the other. Same height, no parallax. I liked using them in dirty conditions, because I was always afraid of getting gunk in the dial mechanism, or the rack. Thinking back, I dunno why, since dirty conditions (aka sawblade kerf, or engines) were not going to give accurate indications anyway....