Picked up older Casull-Where to buy a mag tube?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JordantheDoberman

Picked up older Casull-Where to buy a mag tube?

Post by JordantheDoberman »

Howdy,
I just purchased a Puma M92 20” blued .454 Casull. It was well-represented via decent pictures, so I knew the previous owner had stored it in his ATV, Muzzle down, where it developed the rust cancer on the front barrel band and magazine tube. I know Steve’s can fix me up with a new spring and follower, as well as a front sight.
However, I would like to replace the magazine tube and get a new spring to push the detent in the tube’s cap up into the barrel cut more forcefully. Any of you folks happen to know of a person or company that sells new parts for an LSI imported M92?
Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to cleaning this little Casull up and using it.
Jordan
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Picked up older Casull-Where to buy a mag tube?

Post by Reese-Mo »

I'm pretty sure the tubes are threaded into the receiver on those, but removable. That makes things more challenging. Barring just lucking into a 454 tube, you might consider going with a partial length, just for cosmetic reasons.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The .454 Casull and .480 Ruger versions have a threaded in magazine tube. My advice is to fix it. Soak it in 50/50 acetone/ATF then scrub it with a copper chore boy. Clean it with brake cleaner, warm it with a hair dryer, and apply cold blue. Wash with soap and water then oil.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I will second GG's recommendations above. Cleaning up what you have if it is mechanically serviceable is your very best bet.

I'll add the questions:
With regards to your gun:
Are we talking about the traditional style mag tube that most 92s have where you have a external tube that houses a spring, follower, with an endcap and through screw that butts into the barrel OR are we talking about the dual mag tube Rossi/Puma put on the 454s initially that has an outer tube with an inner spring loaded sleeve that works much the same way as most lever action rimfires and can be slid most of the way out to drop rounds through a slot in the mag tube near to the muzzle?

I am not aware of a source for replacement parts for the inner spring loaded sleeve tubes. I know some places to look but the supply would be contingent on whether or not a scrapped gun with the right parts in good shape had been stripped rather than just destroyed.

I have seen vintage Winchesters with bad magazine tubes repaired by fabricating new tubes. You would need to match the OD and ID of the tube closely, be able to match the threads for the receiver (given Rossi's trend toward metric mystery threading could be annoying or you might get lucky and it might be something semi common) and the rest would be pretty easy although depending on the tubing material the finish might not be super easy although cerakoting has become pretty common and popular and is not dependent on the metal composition.
JordantheDoberman

Archer,
My 92 has the tube within a tube. The mag spring and yellow plastic follower will be replaced with a metal follower and new spring from Steve’s. I might be able to wirewheel the rust away, but i’d rather just replace the tube. This carbine is in great condition, until you get to the front sight area. This guy let Mother Nature get away from him. The tube is a mess, the front sight looks like he didn’t know how to use a brass drift, and the muzzle o.d. is pitted terribly. After I trim the muzzle 1/2”, counterbore it and replace the front sight, I’ll be ready to replace the mag tube and the clamp that is also a total wreck. The gun will look much better if I can find new or decent takeoff parts, so I’ll look until I get the muzzle finished and the other parts on hand.
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven’t tried Rossi yet, but tomorrow is their turn.
Jordan
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I would recommend talking to Steve unless the parts you are ordering specify they are for the inner tube you want to refurbish with a new spring and follower. I don't recall if he stocked parts for both systems or just the traditional springs and followers.

Let us know what you find but I'd almost be betting you are talking a fab job for the outer tube.
JordantheDoberman

Well,
Rossi ended up asking me to provide a picture of each part I wish to purchase. I have the parts on a towel, so off the pics go. C/S gal told me the barrel is a Restricted part, as is the firing pin. Geez.
The Outer Magazine Tube is a Socket-fit, not screwed in. Mine is evidently an early Safety version. The inner tube is in very good shape, but the Rust demon has attacked the blued Outer Tube, the I.D.’s of both barrel clamps, yet left the action and barrel interiors untouched. The junk stock looks great until you remove it and see the cracked divider between the barrel and mag tube. Looks like termites made a home inside the barrel channel.
The barrel took 20 minutes to clean with a brass brush wrapped in cotton patches and Hoppes #9, but the rifling is bright and sharp.
If I can find the parts, the Carbine will look fine once again. Sad that the previous owner let it rust so badly.
Jordan
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The web between the mag tube and the barrel in the forend is often cracked/busted. It isn't just a Rossi thing as it happens with Marlins, etc.. It is NOT unusual to trim out the web to avoid having it swell and put pressure on the barrel from moisture. Trim out at least the center of the web and let the barrel band(s) and receiver hold it in place.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I intentionally cut the wooden web out of the fore end with a box cutter to keep pressure off the barrel and to make the R&R easier.

The pics are to prove you have a Rossi and that you're not getting parts to resell. Never seen a Casull without a threaded tube. The one I just sold was threaded and had the slot in it to load and unload the rifle like a Marlin 60 or 39A. Does yours have that?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
JordantheDoberman

GasGuzzler,
My 92 Casull does have both the mag tube slot to load ammo, and the loading gate. As of today, both Rossi and Interarms have refused to provide information or parts for my particular Carbine. I’ll end up getting the mag tube reblue, and the mag catch knob beadblasted and reblue. I have acquired a complete new bolt for a spare, M&M has provided a nice blue barrel band, and Steve has provided springs, new front sight, some other parts. I have a new unfinished forend, so eventually I’ll get it together and shooting.