It gets sooo silly...!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

It gets sooo silly...!!

Post by ManxTom »

'Start as you mean to go on' is a premise I've followed for a long time. So, as I'm waiting to get this Rossi 92, I thought I'd go ahead a get a leather lever wrap. Er, well.. no..!! Once again I have been bushwhacked by that notorious ITAR regulation. :x

It seems that my buying a 2.5" strip of leather with waxed twine and needles constitutes me being some form of 'buyer of international arms'. A piece of damn leather..!! I ask you, who thinks up these things??

I could excuse this ban if the item was labelled "Tactical Lever Wrap".. then we'd all know for sure it was something very evil..!! :lol:

One seller informs me I can get the goods.. IF I set myself up as an 'agent' - paying $250.00 for the privilege of course. Yeah, I know, I could go find a local saddler and get one sorted but I kind of like supporting local firearms related businesses (even though some people may have a little trouble being I'm some 4000 miles distant from them).

I guess my luggage is going to be under some strain when we return from our next US visit. And, for what it's worth, we ALWAYS sail back to GB as there is no baggage allowance on ships. The rule being if you can carry it, you can board with it. Happy days..!!
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: It gets sooo silly...!!

Post by HarryAlonzo »

That is too funny.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Danm! what do you guys have to go through to buy ammo?
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

actually they get in trouble if they ain't buyin enough.

MANX;
just find yourself a nice leather bootlace.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

He is NOT getting screwed over because of which nation he is in but he's getting screwed over because of a international treaties that most nations including ours and his have signed up for.

I truly don't think the item in question qualifies for the regulation but once you regulate something you get all kinds of problems including regulatory over reach and inconsistent enforcement and inconsistent interpretation.

Haven't any of you guys gotten curious about the ITAR warnings that used to be on every page at Brownells?

The last company I worked for paid some $10K+ annually for the right to work ITAR related aerospace projects and that company sold NOTHING to anyone overseas at all.

Interesting that you can't sell a leather wrap to a gent in Great Britain but the government can drop off some 80 odd billion plus in small arms, crew served weapons, vehicles, aircraft, optics and NVIS systems to a terrorist organization leaving them in control of an entire country with a history of exporting attacks worldwide...

The Biden administration is already filing friend of the court briefs in the 3 2nd amendment related cases the supreme court has indicated they might consider and demanding near equal time for the Feds to argue against our rights. With the current flip flop nature of the court don't be surprised should 35 minutes arguing against something is enough to rebut 20 minutes arguing for it.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

ManxTom wrote:I thought I'd go ahead a get a leather lever wrap. Er, well.. no..!! Once again I have been bushwhacked by that notorious ITAR regulation. It seems that my buying a 2.5" strip of leather with waxed twine and needles constitutes me being some form of 'buyer of international arms'. A piece of damn leather..!! I ask you, who thinks up these things??
Who thinks up this crap? Well, since ITAR is a Yankee creation, surely it must be some deviate, yet ocean crossing remnant from the "Lost Genes of the Britons", who have crafted such common sense knife laws, for example..... :D I'm in total agreement: What a load of rubbish!

For God's sake man, think outside the box. Your locale is inundated with some form of Ovis Aries or another. Surely there must be some wee bit of hide, softer, more supple, more easily workable than the decrepit end of steer's buttock we slag off to customers here in the States? Why, you may even find a section with the wool still attached, and use that for a lever wrap. Wouldn't _THAT_ be the dogs %@*&$ !!! ;)
Last edited by Reese-Mo on 09 Oct 2021 11:02, edited 3 times in total.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Archer wrote:Interesting that you can't sell a leather wrap to a gent in Great Britain but the government can drop off some 80 odd billion plus in small arms, crew served weapons, vehicles, aircraft, optics and NVIS systems to a terrorist organization leaving them in control of an entire country with a history of exporting attacks worldwide...
Archer, its not that he cannot import, but that the USA cannot export. ITAR is our creation, sadly.

(Added later)
On third reading, after coffee, I'm thinking that's what you meant. I'm old, please forgive
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm not totally sure that ITAR is a Yankee creation but as I'm Southern born and bread I'm willing to accept that it might be yet another less than smart idea out of the northern territories.
My point was ITAR is a U.S. regulation, and it also feeds into a series of international treaties and agreements. (plus a series of reports by the U.N. and possibly the W.H.O. etc..)

It's bad enough on the U.S. domestic side when you aren't even crossing any border but once you are actually dealing with importing or exporting then you effectively get the U.S. State department and the foreign country equivalent of the same potentially plus customs and import export tax agencies.

It gets moronically stupid incredibly quickly. (Aerospace, computers, communications, Aviation, small arms, ships, vehicles, crew served weapons/armor, personal protection, manufacturing equipment, mills, simple hand tools, optics and on and on.)
And it morphs into things that it shouldn't like tiny bits of leather.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

We both know, Archer, that no God-fearing Southerner would have come up with it.
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

Boy, I didn't know that we have international arms dealers as members! Tom, can you get me a deal on sharks with laser beams attached to their heads, or is there some rule about those, too? :lol: