I'm confused..!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: I'm confused..!!

Post by golfish »

ManxTom wrote:
That looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Do you know what year yours is? The serial number on mine is SH0149832. Is this similar to yours??
No, my numbers are completely different. I got it new around 2015 (11/2015) Is your color case Hardened?
Does your say that it was "Made In Brazil By CBC?
Is it a new gun?
Last edited by golfish on 06 Oct 2021 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

golfish wrote:
ManxTom wrote:
That looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Do you know what year yours is? The serial number on mine is SH0149832. Is this similar to yours??
No, my numbers are completely different. I got it new around 2015. Is your color case Hardened?
Does your say that it was "Made In Brazil By CBC?
Is it a new gun?
Still awaiting its arrival at my local gun shop. It's not CCH, just plain blued. Can't see any makers info in any of the photos I have that were attached to the sales ad. And this is second-hand or, as they like to say these days, 'pre-loved'..!! but I am assured it's had one careful owner who didn't shoot it very much. The shop that was selling it informed me that their gunsmith reckons it's had less than 1000 rounds through it. I was hoping I'd have it by now but it's looking more like early next week..!!! :cry: :cry:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I expect that it's neigh impossible to estimate a round count on a firearm unless you have a heck of a lot of trigger and maintenance time on said firearm and even then gross round count ain't easy if it's been kept clean and kept up.

1000 cycles on a 92 Rossi ain't much. I put a thousand or two DRY cycles on mine just to smooth out the internal parts cleaning them every 500 or so. There wasn't really any visible wear from the process.

1000 rounds through a manual cycling rifle is quite a few on the one hand. On the other hand 1000 rounds through a lever action ain't going to put much wear on one.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

ManxTom wrote:
golfish wrote:
ManxTom wrote: ....their gunsmith reckons it's had less than 1000 rounds through it
Year might mean something for a Colt single action, an old Winchester, or their like. Rossi? Not yet.

Forget the 1000 round story. Think about what wears out first - the bore. If the previous owner shot some really hot handloads, it is possible to have some throat erosion in 1000 rounds. On the other, and much better hand, I don't see that as a likely scenario, given casual shooting of leverguns should be an enjoyable experience. On the third hand, given lever action accuracy, and considering effective distances of the pistol cartridge in a rifle: So what?

What then to inspect on successful inbound sojourn? Are there bumfugger'd screw heads, caused by the use of ill fitting turnscrew tips? Instant giveaway to what we in the US call a bit of "bubba" gunsmithing. Are there dents, especially in the magazine tube? Does the rifle cycle ammunition? (not snap caps, use dummy rounds instead). Does it pass the pencil test? Will it launch a pencil/pen from the barrel, straight into the ceiling on dry fire? Is the muzzle free from burrs, dents, odd shapes? Does the magazine spring have good pressure. Many cut the spring, but if too much.... well, that's easily corrected. Does the trigger feel crisp? Is it overly light? If it is, will it pass muster by staying cocked if the butt is slammed down on a hard surface. Is there rust? You get the idea.

Having served over 10 years doing machine work, fixing and customizing all manner of arms, I can tell you that the saying "Guns usually don't break themselves, they're broken by their owners trying to fix them!" is a 100 percent true expression.

I'm with Archer, and have cycled my R92 at least 1000 times dry cycling, and probably half that amount dry firing into a snap cap. Sure did smooth out that trigger and action1
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I doubt I have a firearm with anything close to 1K rounds through it ... even my 1950's Marlins. I was given a Ruger MKI a couple months ago by an elderly neighbor moving to a care facility. It looks like it might have 20K through it :) I guess. I don't consider it mine yet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Aw heck, I once bought a Ruger MkII and put a brick thru it just to break it in. Brothers, it was a chore to do so!
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Reese-Mo wrote:
Year might mean something for a Colt single action, an old Winchester, or their like. Rossi? Not yet.

Forget the 1000 round story. Think about what wears out first - the bore. If the previous owner shot some really hot handloads, it is possible to have some throat erosion in 1000 rounds. On the other, and much better hand, I don't see that as a likely scenario, given casual shooting of leverguns should be an enjoyable experience. On the third hand, given lever action accuracy, and considering effective distances of the pistol cartridge in a rifle: So what?

What then to inspect on successful inbound sojourn? Are there bumfugger'd screw heads, caused by the use of ill fitting turnscrew tips? Instant giveaway to what we in the US call a bit of "bubba" gunsmithing. Are there dents, especially in the magazine tube? Does the rifle cycle ammunition? (not snap caps, use dummy rounds instead). Does it pass the pencil test? Will it launch a pencil/pen from the barrel, straight into the ceiling on dry fire? Is the muzzle free from burrs, dents, odd shapes? Does the magazine spring have good pressure. Many cut the spring, but if too much.... well, that's easily corrected. Does the trigger feel crisp? Is it overly light? If it is, will it pass muster by staying cocked if the butt is slammed down on a hard surface. Is there rust? You get the idea.

Having served over 10 years doing machine work, fixing and customizing all manner of arms, I can tell you that the saying "Guns usually don't break themselves, they're broken by their owners trying to fix them!" is a 100 percent true expression.

I'm with Archer, and have cycled my R92 at least 1000 times dry cycling, and probably half that amount dry firing into a snap cap. Sure did smooth out that trigger and action1
From what I have been told about the previous owner (and I trust the source) he is a 50 something GP who joined a local gun club and was happy just plinking at targets. Apparently he saw other club members with lever guns and wanted one - he never shot it in competition, and he didn't shoot on a regular basis. I believe he only shot factory ammo as he wasn't into reloading. I was informed he's now moved away from shooting and into field archery..!!

When I get it, it will be stripped down so I can check it out. I have a bore scope that connects to my pc so I can 'inspect' closely the barrel. I've been around rifles for nigh on 60 years so I can easily identify torn screw heads and the like.
The gun shop that I bought this through has, nationally, an excellent reputation - one of the owners being a former world benchrest champion so I have no reason to doubt what they have told me about this Rossi. Getting it to me is just a longer process due to there being a sea journey involved which incurs more red tape and paperwork. And of course this now being October there's every chance of a storm stopping the ferry from sailing..!!
I think I need another bottle of patience pills..!! :) :)
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

1K rounds sounds really low, not to mention 1k dry cycles. I got my first R92 in 2013 (new) and have no doubt that I've put close to 3k rounds through it - mostly moderately loaded cast. I traded for a lightly used R92 in late 2015 and have since put the same 3k through it. And I don't shoot "a lot" ... just try to shoot "often".

Both my R92 barrels have broken in really well over the short 6-8 years of all the relatively soft cast lead bullets, and the actions of each are smooth.

As was said above, to which I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly with, pushing jacketed bullets through the barrel with super-magnum powder charges is pretty much a waste .... of the powder, but mostly the firearm.

just my dose of drivel for the day ....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I doubt I have a firearm with anything close to 1K rounds through it ... even my 1950's Marlins. .
Not on any of my lever guns. Not even close. I've probably got 2k+ on one of my ARs.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Tom,

The screw head buggery is not the issue, but the indicator of possible issues unseen. In other words, due care was not taken outside, why think it was taken inside?

I don't think you'll need to strip things. On a 92, you can tell 80% of the condition by dropping the lever and just peering inside. You can remove the shoulder stock, lower tang and bolt to see the condition of the rest.

Instead of the pills, try a pint.