Barrel Lengths..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ManxTom

Barrel Lengths..

Post by ManxTom »

Just wondering, because I think we see things differently over here, what barrel length constitutes being called a carbine? We would say anything less than 20" is a carbine. What say you guys??
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Barrel Lengths..

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

There's no real set point in barrel length with '92s, or even longer length 1873's or 1886's or 1894's.

Most lever actions are available in at least three barrel lengths. For the '92, I think its safe to say all 16 inchers are carbines, and all 24 inchers are rifles. Its that 20 inch version that gets dual treatment. Barrel band, and they call it a carbine. Fore end nose cap and they call it a rifle, or "short rifle".

For instance, my 92 Miroku 20 inch, is a short rifle, because it has a nose cap. My 20 inch Rossi 92 has a barrel band, and they call it a carbine. Go figure, as far as barrel length is concerned.

I like 20 inch '92 lever actions. They are light and handy enough, when compared to the 24 inch guns, but the 16's seem too short to me. The 20's also are about max out in terms of performance from pistol cased ammo. As always YMMV.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I call the 24's rifles, the 20's carbines, and the 16's too short.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.