R92 wood- Do modern Rossi's use the same as the Interarms?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: R92 wood- Do modern Rossi's use the same as the Interarm

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm sticking with 1987 for mine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
bczrx

Post by bczrx »

Got an update from my 'source' in Brazil regarding the woods used. Here is the info he provided:
Off Topic
I dot´n find the exact translation of Brazilian wood names, so I will use the Brazilian and scientific names.

Rossi used Guajuvira wood (Patagonula americana) up to 1990´s.

The wood was changed later to Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation. This wood is also used on IGA-Stoeger shotguns and, in the past, to make replacement stocks for military rifles, like our Mausers, Garands, and .30 M1 carbines.

CBC/Magtech used Imbuia (Ocotea porosa) up to 1990´s.

According an retired worker of Brazilian gun industries, Brazilian hardwoods has many tone variations, and some American customers does not liked to receive a gun with a different stock color of seen on showcases. Luehea divaricata has an uniform color and almost no tone variation.
Since my rifle is pre-1990s, I did a bit of searching on Guajuvira Wood.

At first, my search pulled up a listing saying it was almost extinct. Then, I realized the webpage was referring to trees in Uruguay, and it identified that it still grew in Brazil and Paraguay.

Second one of interest was this one about woods: Elemental Hardwoods website- page on guayjuvira wood

The next one that seemed interesting was this one, where it was evaluated for how well it would work as a baseball bat- compared to other woods used in bats: Guayjivira wood compared to maple and ash, for baseball bats.

Baseball bats may be weird, but it tickled my fancy at the idea that I could use the stock to bat a ball around and the wood was at least as good as professional baseball bats [even if the shape wasn't!].
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I've messed around with 5 of them. My problem has always been that the wood wont accept any kind of stain. I've tried a few different things to prep the wood for stain with no luck.

Then wood isn't too bad and the new guns seem to have better fitting...

Good luck. I've seen some nice older guns with real dark wood..
bczrx

Post by bczrx »

golfish wrote:I've messed around with 5 of them. My problem has always been that the wood wont accept any kind of stain. I've tried a few different things to prep the wood for stain with no luck.

Then wood isn't too bad and the new guns seem to have better fitting...

Good luck. I've seen some nice older guns with real dark wood..

Hmm.

Ok- you've sold me.

I won't do anything until I have a bunch of time.

WHEN I have a bunch of time, I'll skip the stain and try the wood dye.

With stain and overcoat, I've had good luck on walnut and ok luck on birch [or whatever it was]. However, if these older ones are a different wood and you tried 5 times without great luck- I'll go to wood dye.
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

A lot of tropical "hardwoods" are waxy or have oils that make them hard to finish and/or glue. I used to turn pens and on a "flyer" I bought a box of "mystery" wood blanks. A few were difficult to get the tubes glued. To this day I don't know what some of them were. Sort of like Rossi stocks :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A little epoxy works some wonders. Not great on wax but I imagine with the surface area between the tube and the pen, a little alcohol to cut the wax and roughing the fibers up a mite it should work pretty well.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

golfish wrote:I've messed around with 5 of them. My problem has always been that the wood wont accept any kind of stain. I've tried a few different things to prep the wood for stain with no luck.
Try the dye next time. It's a game changer. Lots of other brand riflestocks don't take stain either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Archer wrote:A little epoxy works some wonders. Not great on wax but I imagine with the surface area between the tube and the pen, a little alcohol to cut the wax and roughing the fibers up a mite it should work pretty well.
Yep, I've used alcohol and or acetone and epoxy in those "special" cases.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image