Help removing safety

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tommag

Help removing safety

Post by Tommag »

So. I received my bolt mounted peep sight from Steve's gunz. The instructions say to drift the pin from left to right to remove it. I'm assuming the left to right is as viewed from the top. That pin won't move. Has anyone else had that problem, and if so, have any tips for me?
Edit to clarify.
Left to right as viewed with the rifle shouldered.
Last edited by Tommag on 09 Sep 2021 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Help removing safety

Post by golfish »

I had to give up trying to remove the pin from my last Rossi .357..

but yeah, your going the right way. The only tip I can give is to hit it harder...

you might try putting some heat to it
Last edited by golfish on 09 Sep 2021 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Lookin down the barrel from breech to muzzle is left n right. Always from the shootin position.

Before you go wailin away on things, do it right. Remove bolt. Hold the bolt in a strong padded vice. Use a starter punch to break that pin free. Not only Rossi, but lots of gun pins are tighter than a wedgie in a fat lady's caboose, and they need a little tlc - starter pin, solid padded vice, and a light quick hammer (like a small ball peen hammer)..
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

Like Reese-Mo said. Also put some penetrating oil on it over night . Use a little heat small tapping will probably break it loose. I was lucky and had no problems with mine.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

I'm a little unclear about this. I have a 4" vise, I'm assuming either full thickness leather or wood to pad it.
Starter punch, would that be like a heavier punch with a sharp point?
After a web search for starter punches, I got that part figured out. The vise part makes sense for rapid strikes, I would be unable to do that on a bench block.
After looking at the bolt again, there's only about 2" that I could safely grip in a vise, so wood looks like the answer.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Be aware that Rossi assemblers don't always follow what we would like to think are the "rules" for correct pin insertion. We would all like to be confident that the pins are inserted from the right and removed from the left, but sometimes the person who put the rifle together didn't feel consistency important. Look closely at the ends of the pin to see if you can tell from which side it was inserted.

Here's a link to a recent experience of mine. Skip to the last paragraph . . .

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... 048#p65527
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A starter punch is a short punch the same diameter as a drift punch but it is only designed to get the pin broken loose and 'started' it is not long enough to drive the pin more than a few mm or so. The reason to use such a punch is that if you have a 3/4" long 1/16" diameter punch then it is much more likely to buckle and/or break if it is used to get a stubborn pin moving.

The short sharp punch is a %@*&$ punch or a center punch it should NOT be used to move a pin. It is often used to stake a part or to mark a point that you want to drill so the drill bit does not wander on a flat surface.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ty Mr Archer!
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Thanks everybody.
I've never had any starting punches before. I ordered a set from brownells. Wish I'd done that a long time ago, it would've saved a few drift punches.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

BTW, It appears the parental controls on dirty words are a might more repressive than I'd have expected.
I did not intend to refer to an alternative for a diminutive for 'Richard'.

The term I used was more or less the same as that used in Sleeping Beauty when the princess was using the spinning wheel and describes what happens to her finger.