Modified my carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Steelburner

Modified my carbine

Post by Steelburner »

A couple of things ticked my 'Don't Like' box about my new Rossi M92 .44 Special and Magnum when I got it last May. The loading gate had more in common with a powerful rat trap than an access-portal. And the ejector spring tossed the fired cases into the next county; well, at least into the next shooter's firing table area.

I ordered a video and upgrade kit from Steve Young at Steve's Gunz,near Lampasas, Texas. The kit contained a stainless-steel replacement for the plastic follower in the magazine tube, and a replacement ejector spring. And, of course, Steve's well-known DVD about how to disassemble, clean, modify, and reassemble the Rossi M92 in all its disguises.

I watched Steve's video on how to effect useful modifications to Rossi 92s for Cowboy Action Shooting matches (mostly by grinding parts thinner). After about the fifth time I watched the full cycle I felt competent enough to begin.

I settled on modifying three areas of the new carbine; the trigger spring would be slightly lightened to reduce the pull to around 4 or 5 pounds by grinding and thinning it, the loading gate spring would be reduced in power by grinding and thinning it to a point where you would not lose fingernails when loading; well, usually anyway. And finally, replacing the demonic ejector spring with a gentler one, but NOT by grinding.

I worked my way through it with Steve Young's excellent advice. Of course, some 'trade secrets' of gunsmiths were held back. Steve's DVD made things look like it would maybe take 90 minutes to do a full job on a Rossi instead of the five evenings it took me to do it. I do NOT blame Steve for any problems I encountered. I may be old, but I'm slow to learn, too.

I made one other fairly significant change to the gun; instead of cutting off some of the hammer spring to reduce drag, I used a 19# hammer spring for Ruger Single Action Revolvers. That worked like a charm and I haven't had a misfire. I had bought a pack of three Wolfe springs that had 18, 19, and 20 pound springs in the packet. In future I may try the 18# model to see how that one works, since most of my reloads are lit off with Federal primers and they're a bit more sensitive than some brands.

I'm almost happy with the result. I will need to dig way down into the Rossi's engine-room to grind some more off that devilish loading-gate spring. I guess I'll start on that the next time I'm snowed-in, as we were last winter. Maybe I'd be finished with the job by the next <ahem> spring.
Steelburner

"Scientists now agree that the purpose of women's breasts is to make men stupid." - Dave Barry
jstanfield103

Re: Modified my carbine

Post by jstanfield103 »

Also on the loading. Rossi uses the same magazine spring in all length barrels. Mine being a 16" barrel I had to cut approx. 4" of Magazine spring off for a little easier loading. I also hour glassed the loading gate spring a little. Much easier to load now. Depending on your barrel length if shorter than the 24" you might need to take some of the magazine spring off to help also.
Steelburner

Post by Steelburner »

I was surprised when I to took the spring out to see that it was only about three or four cartridge lengths longer than the magazine tube. I didn't have to pare it down any to fit.

I'm starting to think that someone at the factory has instituted some true Quality Control. The out-of-the-box smoothness of the action startled and pleased me. Brazil is in a unique position to provide proven, well-made designs for the CAS market at a reasonable price. Although their MSRP is over $ 800 USD, it could easily be bought on-line for a bit over $ 600 at the time I bought this one.

I'm tickled no end with my two Rossi '92s.
Steelburner

"Scientists now agree that the purpose of women's breasts is to make men stupid." - Dave Barry
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

They are absolutely great rifles. I am glad I put one back into my collection. Love them.