Is This OK? New to 92's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rocketman

Is This OK? New to 92's

Post by rocketman »

Good morning......I'm new to Rossi 92's (and this forum). I have several Marlin's but this is my first Rossi adventure. I just bought 2 357 16" R92's and a 16" 44 mag. The blued 357 has a lever that doesn't appear to be closed all the way even though it is. The other two look "normal". Is this thing OK to shoot this way? Again the action seems to be completely closed and locked but the angle is funky creating quite a gap between the lever and stock.

Thanks in advance for your advice......

I'd sure hate to have to send this thing back for warranty work.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Is This OK? New to 92's

Post by Archer »

Apparently not unknown.

https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.ph ... gap#p65436

https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.ph ... gap#p65081

Not the way most of them are rigged perhaps. Whether or not it is OK may be up to you but apparently Rossi is occasionally shipping them that way.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Welcome again!

Aaaaak no, don't send anything back, its normal for 'em. Send it back and... gulp... you never know what might happen.

If you look at lots and lots and lots of R92's, you'll notice two things. First is, the "gap" on current models are all over the place, some wide, some narrower. Second is the old, old rifles don't have much gap at all.

I "adjusted" the gap on my R92 (which I think Archer linked to) and I suspect that the reason for the current "gap" is for the upper portion of the sliding locking lugs to not protrude so far "upward". I've finally examined two older (one real old) Winchester 92's, as well as my Mirokuchester 1892, and the lugs protrude from the top of the action by a good amount when the lever is closed. On the Rossi, they do not. Why that be? Well... after adjusting my own rifle, it became clear that when the lever is fully up (along with the lugs) the little bolt safety hits the right hand lug and won't turn. You have to drop the lever just a little to manipulate the safety. I find that unobjectionable, as I know the safety will not move accidentally now!

The adjustment is a two step affair. The first bit being the alteration of the hole in the lever that the bolt pin protrudes through. This allows the lever's front to swing further forward, and the rear to move upward. Examination of the Trammel of Archimedes will make things clearer. Google that! You'll see how the trammel's crank handle will allow the shuttles to move a great deal with only a minor additional forward movement. The second step is adjustment of, or replacement of the friction lever, so it actually holds the lever in a new position. You may have to fiddle with the spring and such, but I didn't. The correct material is a 5mm rod, and Brownell's sells that.

The locking lugs protrude far enough for reliable safe operation, as the rifle comes from Rossi, but... if you want it more correct to the Browning/Winchester design, you can alter it. If you want to attempt alteration (not too difficult if you're good with a Dremel), PM me and we can go over all the particulars.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Thanks for the advice and links!