Pre-1995 Rossi Puma 92 Carbine Questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Pre-1995 Rossi Puma 92 Carbine Questions

Post by Reese-Mo »

That can be easilt remedied
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

shims

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As to the Elliot Case reference I admit I didn't connect it exactly immediately as I would have had you used the 'Mama Case' form. It is likely that you'd have stumped the entire crew I work with as they thing of Freddy Mercury as ancient history.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

t's pretty typical to use a triangular file to modify the dovetail notch. Less common to use the same style file to modify the dovetail extension on the sight, probably because it's a heck of a lot harder to fixture the sight to get a clean file pass.

If the sight is too small for the dovetail then shims or even using a %@*&$ punch to raise dimples on the bottom of the sight base to tighten it up if it is almost right but just a little loose. Drilling and tapping through the sight for a set screw is also not unknown. I've seen sight dovetails peened but that generally looks like bubba did the job. I've also seen the dovetail notch or the sight welded up but that's not something I'd recommend on a barrel. Mostly I've seen that on slides or non structural areas. I've seen brazing or the like from time to time.
aether_Tech

Post by aether_Tech »

Quick update,

Finally found a local gunsmith to take a look at the three poorly done screwholes , and hopefully fix them to put on the Rossi pic rail that fits the barrel taper.

Also, got some interesting info from the guys at Skinner Sights (can't verify if true,) when talking about the dovetail not fitting. Before Rossi started using a more standard 60 degree shoulder, they used an oddball "squarish" slot, and is usually recognizable due to the rivet connecting block to sight, as the newer ones are just one milled unit. With est. of 20-30 years of the newer style single piece sights /w 60 degree shoulders. So....

I still have zero good benchmark. Interams closed up in ~1999, but Taurus purchased Rossi in 1995 or so. So, all I have is pre-1995 to... 1975 (https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/t ... ry.110809/). The Made in Brazil and Puma imported by InterArms of Alexandria VA lines up with what is on my gun. I'm also hoping it's an earlier production run of the 92, and it feels like it - it's pretty nicely finished, and doesn't feel stiff at all at any point (unless a previous owner polished the %@*&$ out of it.)

So, the 20year window from 95 to 75.... Hopefully, based on how nice and smooth the action of my particular example is, hopefully it's an earlier production ....

Well. Thats all I got for today.
One smooth brain cell.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

how about a tang sight?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
aether_Tech

Post by aether_Tech »

mr surveyor wrote:how about a tang sight?

jd
Considering it. Issue I have with tang sights is durability and ability to resist sideways force and torsion. A quick perusal of google brings up the Lyman #2, or Marbles 65 which is $110+.... But seems to be the most overall compact of the tang sights. IF it fits the Rossi 92.
One smooth brain cell.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I am a fan of the Marbles sights.

There is a possibility of them being damaged if you abuse the gun or throw it but the same possibility exists to some extent with the standard barrel sights and I've seen simply blade and post front sights busted. For one example I had a friend who purchased a Win 94 in .44 mag with a 16" barrel that just so happened to have the front sight snapped off at half mast when he purchased it.

The Marbles I have folds flat to the tang when not in use and is much more solid than you might expect if you haven't dealt with them before. The biggest thing keeping me from having another six or eight of them is the cost.
aether_Tech

Post by aether_Tech »

Hopefully found a gunsmith to install pic rail.

Need to find a half-decent scout scope for target shooting (not hunting.)

Vortex Crossfire II seems to be the leader for budget-minded scout scopes on other forums/reddit/discord.
One smooth brain cell.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Check out the scout scope sticky. There’s more to life than Vortex. I’m not a fan of high magnification scout scopes.