Lil Gun and Coated Bullets?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
plaidad

Lil Gun and Coated Bullets?

Post by plaidad »

I managed to score some Lil Gun powder to use with my .357 carbine. So far, I have been using CFE Pistol for my 158 gr plinking loads. I would like to try Lil Gun for a little more velocity. However, I can't seem to find any load data for lead or coated bullets. Does Lil Gun burn too hot to use for these bullets? Does anyone have a source for load data for lead or coated .357 with Lil Gun? Thanks for your help.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Lil Gun and Coated Bullets?

Post by Archer »

Hodgdon powder data is published once a year in magazine format labeled 'display until March 20XX')
The 2019 version of this data lists Lil Gun only for Jacketed bullets and only for 158 or 170 grain ones at that.

158 grain JHC bullets CAN be found and are what I'd tend to use.

The guys here who load coated may chime in.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Depends on what side of the fence you are on concerning load data. Some only use book data. I find that silly since the books don't even agree. The safest bet is to email or call Hodgdon. You will want a gas check bullet even if coated and your load will end up in the mid teens to the lower high end of the teens in grains for a 158.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

Thanks again for the input. I guess I'll just stick with jacketed bullets. I'm not really a hobby reloader - I just do it to make more affordable range ammo.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Hodgdon's online data center shows a few more loads for Lil Gun with the .357 Magnum but they are still for jacketed bullets.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

It will probably prove difficult to get Lil'Gun to play in the velocity range suitable for coated bullets without a gas check. It's a lot like H110 and wants to work at higher pressures and velocities. I use it in the 45 Colt with a heavy conventionally lubed gas checked cast, but that's just me and based on 50 or so years of reloading.

Make smoke, carefully,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image