Serial Number Info

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ethanperry

Serial Number Info

Post by ethanperry »

I have a brass receiver 357 magnum, looking to maybe date the serial number and also looking for recommendations on sights action jobs etc. I tried to upload pictures but the files are too large.
Last edited by ethanperry on 05 Jul 2021 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler

Re: Serial Number Info

Post by GasGuzzler »

We have found no reliable source for SN dating on any of the generations of Rossi rifles. I have not seen a brass one yet. The more modern versions have information available from Rossi if you have an hour to sit on the phone. As to the sights and action, those are the two most common topics on the forum so when you get another extra hour, just browse and read.

Welcome.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! You’ll need to find a photo compression app. And read the sticky on posting photos.
ethanperry

Post by ethanperry »

Thanks, I'll try to get some pictures up. The guy I got it from had three brass ones, the 357 which I bought, and I think a 45 colt and 44 mag. It is a pre safety model. Says made by Taurus I think it is pre Braztech as well.
ethanperry

Post by ethanperry »

Here's some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Morris

Post by Phil Morris »

Very nice!
Phil Morris
Spankyukes.com
DFWBoatRide.com
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

absolutely gorgeous. brass and blue are my favorite colors.
bczrx

Post by bczrx »

Hello,

Is this a Rossi Brass receiver Model 92 in 357? Or- just a brass receiver .357 lever action model 92 of unknown brand?

I ask as I've seen the Ferkinghoff Rossi Puma model 92, but the image of that had a gold band at the front of the forend wood.

Test: Ferkinghoff Rossi Puma M92

However, from your picture it appears there is no bolt-top safety lever. Is this true? Or is it removed and a 'plug' installed.

I believe Rossi added those to the carbine around 2000. I have read that Chiappa continued to sell them without that safety after 2000, but Rossi ones had it after 2000 or so.

Is the serial number on the right side of the receiver, or underneath it? Somewhere around 1980/81 the Rossi 92 switched to machine pressed serial numbers on the side. Before that, it was underneath [and by hand].

IF both of these points are right, your lever gun should be marked 'Interarms' as well. Is it?

Interarms did imports between 1977 [first year Rossi 357 model 92 left factory to distribution system] and 1999 when owner died.

My best guess is yours comes from 1981-1999.

Any more detail you can share? Serial number and location? Any other markings, like importer info?
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.
ethanperry

Post by ethanperry »

Sorry its been so long, the serial number is on the bottom of the receiver and there are no import markings that I can find. Also there is no safety or lock on the hammer and no plug. I believe it was possibly an NOS gun. It still had the shipping grease inside and some of the plastic stuck to the receiver. Didn't look like it had ever been fired. It is a Rossi but says made by Taurus.
bczrx

Post by bczrx »

Hmmm, everything except the 'made by taurus' sounds like pre-82 to me, based on what I've been told. However, I am NO expert. Hopefully one will chime in and figure this out.
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.