"Citadel" Levertac-92 pics

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HaveBlue83

"Citadel" Levertac-92 pics

Post by HaveBlue83 »

hope this is still thought of as a "R92"....its still Brazil MFG! hope this is ok, guys. it seems the same as my old R92 trapper :)

R92 16" Blued, .38/.357
Handloading 38Spl

Hey, Blond! You know what you are? Just a dirty son-of-a-b-!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: "Citadel" Levertac-92 pics

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looks close enough to me! I must say, a very odd recoil pad. Thanks for the photos!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Lever gun of the 21st century! CBC Mfg? What caliber? Couple of years back, Marlin tried to make a tacti-cool lever gun, but yours appears much better thought out (other than that dang safety).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It's a 38 Spl/357 Mag, Gunny, I like it as well!

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Not too bad. I think I'd rather have their takedown models...

I think Midwest is making a version of their rail for Marlins.
Now if Ruger will just get them coming out.
HaveBlue83

Post by HaveBlue83 »

so, i ripped into the rossi and the citadel.....long story short: the loading gate is a single piece of MIM....cast. it is very tight and makes loading not fun. i attempted to retq the door to loosen the tension and it promptpy snapped in half. :(

the rossi doorvis a nice piece of sprung steel and a door and securing block riv/welded onto it.

also, the spring was pretty long on the citadel (was on the rossi way bas as well) so i chopped about 3" off of it to ease loading. i also went in and filed up the rcvr more like the rossi is. the rosdt is my blueprint.

I ordered a rossi door ($40!!!), safety delete and ss follower from Stevez.

always fun!
R92 16" Blued, .38/.357
Handloading 38Spl

HaveBlue83

Post by HaveBlue83 »

ok so the rossi loading door dropped in, just needed the bevel on the inside made to feed rounds over. its one piece but not MIM! Feels great.

the safety delete didnt fit up right at all; way too loose. sucks as its $18!

the ss follower works fine, as does the reduced power extractor.

just wanted to post on the repair and parts matchup.
R92 16" Blued, .38/.357
Handloading 38Spl

GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Steve's Gunz safety delete peep sight is pretty floppy too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dpowers92

Post by dpowers92 »

HaveBlue83 wrote:hope this is still thought of as a "R92"....its still Brazil MFG! hope this is ok, guys. it seems the same as my old R92 trapper :)

I got the same rifle for my wife. Very light and low recoil for both hunting and plinking.
The only issue I am having right now is the last round casing fails to eject in both the 38/357mag rounds.
Do you have that issue?
The little pin that stick out of the carrier got lost so I had to manufacture another one/replacement. Does anyone actually know what the little pin does?
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Couple of things....

First the little lost pin. There should be THREE parts with the carrier. Those are the detent, the spring, and the retaining pin. I'm not sure if you lost the detent, or the retaining pin. All three are needed in order to make the carrier "snick" into place on its upward, and downward cycle.

The lever pushes the carrier upward as its being cycled. When the lever is fully extended, the carrier is also fully raised. However, the carrier must remain in place while the lever begins to be cycled into the firing position (bolt closed), so that the bolt can engage the cartridge on the carrier, and shove it into the chamber. If the carrier is allowed to drop, feeding will not occur. Same thing as the carrier is finally shoved downward, overcoming the tension of that spring loaded detent. It must fully lower, and remain there, allowing the next cartridge to feed from the magazine tube as the bolt nears its fully forward position.

The spring and detent do the holding. The retaining pin makes the carrier easier to assemble into the action.

~~~

Next thing. I really doubt there are two types of loading gates - one stamped, and one injection molded. That does not make sense at all. Furthermore, metallic particle injection molding, aka "MIM" is not really used for springs, or at least leaf springs of the type used in a Rossi R92.

The process is usually disparaged quite a bit online, but metallic particle injection molding is nothing very new. Colt has been using it since the 1980's for their slide stops, thumb safeties, disconnectors, sears, and hammers.... and other parts. You just don't hear about issues with those. The key to determining if a part is injection molded is close examination of the part, looking for sprue, parting lines, etc, as one would for a plastic molded part. The molding process is very similar. If you see fine detail, and ask yourself - "how did they do that?" then its most likely an injection molded part. Kahr, for example, touts their "better" slide stop as being machined (not forged, but machined). In fact, only the pin is machined - ground. The lever part is injection molded and affixed to the ground pin with a cross pin in a blind hole. Their "not as expensive" part for the entry level pistols is completely made by injection molding, and gives equal service.

One interesting way to see if a part is NOT injection molded, is to weigh it. If it weighs more then 3-1/2 ounces, it ain't injection molded. Why? Because the process is not commercially worthwhile for parts using more material than that. It has to do with the production equipment - molding machines would have to be ginormously big to handle more material, and the cost/benefit ratio just does not support that sort of tooling. There's better ways to make those parts. Don't swiss cheese me with "... well the military has a machine than can do it, and its at Pratt & Whitney....". I'm sure someplace out there, somebody with really deep pockets and an anal retentive composure has done it, but it aint commercially sound.

I've found it sort of funny that for gun parts metallic particle injection molding is considered the red headed stepchild of production. Its metallic particles, formed as particles in a mold, then treated to solidify and finally heat treatment processed. Investment casting cannot produce the detail that injection molding can. In practice, injection molding results in a stress free part, as investment casting also does. The funny part is folks pay high prices for certain knife making steels that are.... (taaadaaaa!) particle steels, made by a similar process as injection molded steels. Go figure.
Last edited by Reese-Mo on 22 Oct 2021 14:13, edited 1 time in total.